Another 4 star for Johnny Jones

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TheRealist, Apr 22, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Reminds us of Dale Brown doesn't he? A feller with two final fours, a seat in the Basketball Hall of Fame, and trails only Rupp for wins in the SEC. Excellent recruiting and average coaching gets you further than excellent coaching and average recruiting.

2. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

Would you prefer that last guy? Or Brady? I think Jones is similar to Brady exceptmuch better at recruiting

3. TheRealist

TheRealist GEAUX TIGERS

But he never won a championship so it wasn't any fun.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Correct.

If he could just recruit and step out of the way to allow someone more qualified to coach and manage games, we'd we golden.

A lot like what happens with our football program. In fact, it's scarily similar.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

While Dale did have his coaching brain fart moments I don't recall nearly as many as Johnny made as far as the simple things that should be second nature to every coach at every level.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

"I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance." -- Bobby Knight

islstl likes this.
  7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

hmm they look very similar to me.

you must have been pissing when he was mic'ed up during the timeouts. he rarely knew who had the ball and often not even the stars names on the other teams.

but like red alluded and ive learned, talent is more important than coaching when only 5 dudes are on the court at a time per side. its just frustrating as hell during close games and its what kills you with les miles. the cluelessness is often unbearable.

les and jj are both similar to daddy dale. jones just lacks any personality. must be good one on one in a recruits ear however.

lsu-i-like and LSUMASTERMIND like this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

EXACTLY!!!!
    I don't do it often, but I have to agree with Red. I remember the Brown years very well, reminds me a ton of his assistant JJ if you ask me. Much like Dale there are some really great things you like very much, but X's and O's are definitely not one of them. In game coaching is another glaring deficiency of both. Jones however may be an even better recruiter, which can make a big difference. Hopefully he recognizes his shortcomings and learned something about surrounding himself with coaches that cover his defficiencies from his time with Brown. Jury is still out, but if JJ can hire good coaches around him he will be very successful. If not he will be just another footnote in LSU basketball history.

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I knew him a little when he was an assistant. He does have more peronality than he shows to the media but not that much more. On the other hand Curley Hallman could be pretty funny when he was drunk.

lsu-i-like and Winston1 like this.
  10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Dale hired a few really good X & Os coaches. One was Tex Winter who was Phil's guru for the triangle he was there during the Shaq years. There were a couple of others to though I can't remember their names.