Another analysis of the Tennessee game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Oct 6, 2010.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

1 person likes this.
  2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

One of the things that strikes me (from another article) is this quote by T-Bob.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5648432"]Coach Les Miles says LSU Tigers clock management gaffe addressed - ESPN[/ame]

So the team did work on the mistakes in the Ole Miss game from last year, ergo Miles did address that specific situation (sort of).

The problem with spiking the ball is that you lose a down. We were already at 3rd down. Spiking would have left us the almost exact same result. What good is extra time on the clock if its only purpose will be to let the other team take a knee if you don't punch the ball in on 4th down?

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

That's what I said Monday. The idiot coach still doesn't know what he did wrong. He thinks spiking it was the best thing to do. There is no reason not to have 4 downs there. I would say 99.9% of all coaches would have gotten 4 downs there or at least tried to work for 4 downs. Why this fascination with spiking or in his words clocking, I don't have a clue.

Of course, we are ignoring all the countless mistakes made during the whole drive. How you get the ball with 5:41 on the clock with two time outs and nearly run out of time. Really there would have been another clock mismanagement game with Arkansas last year... the referee called Ridley out on a RB screen pass, when actually he was clearly tackled in bounds and that would have been pretty much the game.

4. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I was going to say... let it go, time to move on. But, since it was such a crazy ending compared to any game in recent history, we'll never live this one down. Personally, I'm done with it. Looking forward to next Saturday now.

1 person likes this.
  5. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

We were inside the 10 yard line with something like :45 on the clock. It should have never got to this point. But since it did, at that point, clocking the ball was the best choice.

6. Trolyce

Trolyce Founding Member

Another good point in the article. Looks like it is the philosophy to keep Ridley fresh and run him mostly in the second half. I would like to see them try to work him harder in the first half and build a lead for once, and then use backups as needed in the second half. I think he's got more juice than they are using.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: I'm still just astounded that Alleva hasn't called you yet for an interview as new HC / OC. :rolleye33: It's obvious you've got all the answers for an immediate fix to any & all problems with the LSU Football Team. :LSU231:

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Thanks for the link. I am just not as football smart as most of you guys and enjoyed the in-depth review. I will start checking that every week.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I saw this very interesting quote in Smiley Anders column this morning:

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

Here is a new analysis:

If the center waits, and JJ calls for the snap in the next 2 seconds, we run a play. Whether the play scores or not, the penalty was called on TN, and we don't look like so bad.

What made it look so terrible was the fumble.

I believe that if the center would have waited 2 more seconds to snap the ball, the results would have been the same, without anywhere near the negative fallout!

(I know people are going to say he never would have called for the snap... I am just saying if he would have the above is true.)