Another analysis of the Tennessee game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by stevescookin, Oct 6, 2010.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

That's funny, and probably true. First play of the game, and last play of the game with no official time on the clock.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

I thought Kleinpeter was overly hard on Jarrett Lee's mistakes. They are the mistakes I would expect to see of a quarterback seeing his first high-pressure action in two years after coming in cold off the bench. Yes, his mechanics looked bad at times, but I think if given a chance to establish game rythm as a consistent #1, he can get better. The O-line protection this time around is a lot better than what he got in 2008 or 2009, so maybe he can get his feet under him more. The passing game actually showed signs of life and we moved the ball with him in there, so that's good enough for me to hand him the football for a whole game, starting this week.

I actually don't mind the delay-of-game/timeout sequence, or at least, I don't put that on Lee, but on the coaches. 4th and 15, game is over if you don't get this, if there is any confusion or doubt at all, take a timeout to talk it over. I also liked that on several occassions, he just threw the ball away rather than try to force something that isn't there. He is showing signs of growth and learning in spots. More than I can say for Jefferson.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If Jefferson had not muffed the snap, he could have lofted a touchdown pass, because DeAngelo Peterson was completely uncovered in the end zone.

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

You are right, if we actually get a legit play off there, the sequence wouldn't have been quite so wild, and we still would've gotten a 2nd bite at the apple, because, whatever Dooley says about "time for substitution" it's obvious the Vols were lined up and set to play with 13 guys. If we score there, Les gets little more negative attention than he got when we went for the win against Auburn in 2007 (which I actually thought was a gutsy call, and there was still more than enough time to kick a field goal there, because the ball hit D-Byrd's hands with 4 seconds on the clock).

You do realize though, if T-Bob had waited two more seconds, we would've been snapping the ball with only one second on the clock (absolute best case scenario)? We'll never know, but I really don't think Jefferson was "time-aware" right there and would've let the clock expire. And that is just mind-boggling to me.

5. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

You sure that wasn't because the entire Tennessee defense went to chase the fumbled snap?

If what you say is true, wow (especially considering Tennessee had 13 guys on the field).

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Plus his view of the clock was blocked, he was winging it.

7. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Actually, Hebert and the players couldn't hear Jefferson calling out the signals because the crowd had noticed the completely inept substitution of players by the incompetent coaching staff as time was quickly running out and was going crazy. Hence, because of what happened at Ole Miss last season, Hebert was going to put the ball in play no matter what and he did, and thank God he did.

8. Speedy G

Speedy G Founding Member

It's incredible to me that people (including the head coach) think spiking the ball on third down with 20 seconds left was the proper call. Imagine if they had done that, and then not scored on fourth down, turning the ball over with about 15 seconds left. Everyone would be (justifiably) bashing Miles for not running four plays.

They had the ball on the two yard line with the clock stopped at :32 and three downs remaining. That is way more than enough time to run three plays. Shockingly, they were really only able to run one.

This from the article:
    ...is spot on.

9. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Wishful thinking against probably the worse SEC defense we face this year. If JL can’t get his feet set against Tennessee, just think what will happen against Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, and Arkansas later this year. Not saying we won’t need him down the stretch because we will as bad as JJ is playing, but there is no excuse for a player working on his 4th season at LSU to still be this piss poor in basic quarterback mechanics, which is a testament to the extremely horrible coaching he has received since arriving at LSU. Not to mention it was usually the inability to get his feet set prior to throws that caused most of his past problems with inaccuracy in the passing department.

JL also almost threw an interception when he came in on third down for JJ and tossed that pass to RS in the corner of the end zone that landed right in the hands of the defender. Luckily he didn’t catch it and we ended up kicking the field goal. Then on the next possession after hitting RR on that 47 yarder, he threw a stupid interception on SR’s wheel route, which in my opinion was a horrible play call on Crowton’s part.

10. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Obviously, you'll be joining LSU-SIU on his staff at LSU. :rolleye33: Are you going to be the new OC? :LSU231: