Another great idea from Blanco.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Aug 10, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Imagine the traffic on 190 if this happens. :mad:

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

What an idiot!!!!!! It's one thing to build a new road and use a toll to pay for it but a toll on an ancient road that's falling to pieces is very Blanco indeed.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Yep, you guys elected a real winner!:lol:
    Typical Democratic idea, new taxes or raise them to give to the poor.
    The only problem is the poor would have to pay the same toll!:redface:

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This is an old poltical trick. They study one of the worst alternatives, then they study another one and both outrage the public. But the public also wants better roads. So when they finally get to a workable alternative it doesn't sound as bad as the alternatives already have been public discussed and dismissed.

It will come down to higher gas taxes for drivers and higher road use taxes for commercial vehicles, and possible higher income taxes devoted to transportation. This is what they are setting us up for. It has worked in other states.

Drive around the country. The states with the best highways collect serious taxes to pay for them.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I've driven around the world and I've never seen a toll placed on a deplorable interstate system that is already paid for.....have you? Now if there is a new loop or freeway to be built, I'm willing to hear about a toll....maybe. But not a highway that is already falling apart.

Wasn't it you who said earlier that you were not for repealing gas taxes while complaining about the high price of gas in the same breath? Then if that gas tax money is used for roads.....why do we need to toll a 50 year old highway instead?

On top of that, Louisianians already pay $.50 a gallon tax....for what? Do you realize that we are one of the highest taxed states in the union with the least results......you think it's a good idea to tax or toll us more?......typical.

This is a typical Democrat idea.........get yourself into bad shape with roads, schools and try and tax businesses and hard working people to fix the problem then cry when businesses and the educated leave the state for Texas or Alabama. Lack of tax money isn't the problem........tax revenue keeps increasing every year. What's the one constant in this equation? The politicians who keep liining their pockets and laughing to the bank while doofusses keep electing them and saying crap like Red did.

7. Dutchtown tiger

Dutchtown tiger Founding Member

Tolls are taxes. Plain and simple and we can not afford to pay more taxes especially in a state with an already high tax burden even though I could exp it to my co.:hihi:. If we had no state inc tax, I could live with it.

8. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

If there were more people putting into the pot, and less taking out, we wouldn't have this problem. And, I wouldn't have to put so much in the damn pot.

If, and it's a big if, they ever did this, I promise you that the scum would find a way to drive on the roads for free. They might as well say they're only going to charge middle class white families to drive on the interstate. That's pretty much what it's going to boil down to.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I don't think Red was implying that other states have high tolls...I think he means taxes in other areas. That's been my experience.

Living in Detroit, I was stunned to see that it was possible to have worse roads than in Louisiana. Of course, second to worst is nothing to be proud of.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

How many of you guys realize that we have a crapload of roads for a state of our size and one of the smallest transportation department budgets in the nation?