Another great idea from Blanco.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Aug 10, 2006.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Problem is not having enough money, it's the way we spend it. Louisiana isn't lacking in tax revenue, we're lacking intelligent politicians to spend it properly.

According to this survey, we're ranked 16th in state and local taxes per capita income ... 2005 State Rankings

More taxes is not the solution...

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What is the solution?

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Not an easy question to answer. We've been such a poor state for so long, I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly why it is this way.

I think it starts with our government, both state and local. Lack of leadership and corruption rules the day in Louisiana. I'm not sure how we overcome this problem, as it has been around forever. We vote out one inept politician and we end up with another one.

Specifically, education is the root of our problem. We can have the best infrastructure and the lowest business taxes in the country, but businesses still won't come here because we lack the necessary workers. Many of those who do get an education end up leaving the state because there are no jobs for them. It's a vicious cycle.

I think most agree the public education in this state sucks, but not many agree on how to solve this problem. Wish I had the answer, but I don't.

4. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Wish the answer was as easy as putting up a quality candidate, instead of another of the good ole boys club. LA had a great opportunity to put in a young, progressive governor, but instead opted for more of the same ole LA dems. When one gubernatorial candidate can run on the motto of "Vote for the Crook" and win, the indicator that the state has serious problems is bigger than huge. I think that it doesn't come down to how to fix it, rather the problem is actually fixing it. The people that need the most help won't elect someone who is willing to help them, mostly because they don't want to help themselves. Its time to fish...

5. red55

The bananna republic reputation aside, where do we get the money to fix the highways and build new ones? The way DOTD allocates its money is accountable and above board. If highway costs are X and the state of Louisiana allocates 70% of X in funding, the roads are going to suck.

So why do we elect legislators who are unwilling to fund the highways to the level that gets the job done?

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

We already pay .$.50 in state gas tax. As you stated earlier, that money is used for roads, we pay 5% sales tax to the state. We pay income tax to the state. Based on history, if the state put a $1 toll on every highway, byway and street corner, the roads would still NOT get fixed. No matter how much you tax the people and businesses for teacher pay raises, cop pay raises, new roads....the end result is none of the above......just higher taxes.

A. The longterm solution is lower taxes and massive business incentives. Incentives for growth and to attract new business. Attract auto plants etc which will hire and pay employees good money and create new subsidiary industries which will also add jobs.

Over the long haul we will add much more tax revenue by attracting new businesses with incentives than stiffling growth by taxing an already overtaxed population who are highly taxed for poor roads and even worse schools.

B. Long-term growth which will fund teachers, roads, cops, etc, comes from BUSINESS and in turn from well-paid WORKERS.

You have to have A. before you can have B. You don't start with trying to get higher tax revenue. A. then B. will happen by itself.

Or C. we can tax I-12 drivers.........Louisiana will do C.

7. red55

None of this addresses the simple question "where is the highway money going to come from?".

A. Attracting new industry does NOT pay for roads. In fact new industry is dependent on a reliable road network to come here.

B. attracting new jobs does NOT pay for roads.

C. long-term growth does NOT pay for roads.

D. Well-paid workers do NOT pay for roads.

The legislature pays for roads from the tax revenues it receives and they are failing to allocate enough to get it done.

Cutting taxes is not the solution to this problem. Cutting income does not result in increased output. It results in even poorer roads.

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

So long term growth, better higher paying jobs, new business growth does not create more tax revenue? The whole list you have there does give us better roads........more tax revenue, stronger economy=more tax revenue.

Again, A + B = better stabndard of living in all ways including roads. And all of that includes tax cuts.

If higher taxes = better schools and roads then Washington D.C and New Jersey ought to have the best schools in the world and they are the worst along with us.

It always amazes me how the first option for a certain segment of the electorate is taxes.......oh and pulling out when the shooting starts. This same segment also has problems getting long-term solutions.

9. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Surely red is playing devils advocate on this one. Craig is 100% correct in his statements. Unfortunately, there is no way a democrat is going to institute them.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

i truly cannot believe that you somehow believe this red. evidently you have drunk the kool-aid waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too long. probably started in the back of a vw van painted with peace symbols and "love not war". maybe you got your pony tail in the kool-aid, who knows........ where do you think tax revenue comes from??? maybe well paid workers and new businesses??? maybe the solution is to expand the tax base instead of taxing the established base to death.