Another Scholarship Opening

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUTiga, May 5, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

The question isn't how many scholarships we have now, but how many we will have come signing day - which nobody can know.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Oversigned by 7? How do you get that number?

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Scholarships are awarded on a year by year basis. If necessary, Les can withhold a scholarship from a player to make the 85. Occasionally walk-ons have been given scholarships because they were available. Those don't have to be renewed if enough scholarships are not available. Sometimes a veteran player with no hope of playing time here is advised that he might want to find some greener pastures in Division I-AA.

Just like last summer when LSU was also oversigned and Les quickly dismissed five players for misbehavior . . . this is probably not a good year to get into Les' doghouse.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I dunno Parso. I think I essentially understand what you mean but it'd seem like the coaches have to operate within some projected numbers given the info they have about players, etc.

We can't just go out on a shopping spree and then cross our fingers when LOI day rolls around and hope the numbers fall into place can we?

Along those lines, I'd say the number we have now is of significance in projecting the number we will have on signing day and also of significance in pursuing recruits.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Only bama can do that, and of course, it's not our business how they do that, and we don't really want to know anyway. :grin:

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Don't ask, don't tell eh? :hihi:

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's harder than that. Its about how many scholarships we anticipate having open the following August when scholarships are awarded and the 85/25 is counted. We have to plan for normal attrition.

8. LSROU

LSROU Freshman

parso this how i got we oversigned 7, at national signing day, counting the 26 scholarships we gave out we were at 92. were are now at 86. we need to loose one more by august. i hear duplesses could greyshirt or corbin get a medical. then we would be at 85. so i figure we would do the same this year. 7 over + 13 seniors= 20 scholarships.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Two more names to the list that may free up some more space for this recruiting class.

RP (No explanation needed)
    Corbin (Medical Hardship)
    Holmes (Graduate degree program at Stephen F. Austin)
    Allen (Transferred to A&M)
    Lott? (Transferred, Where?)
    Snyder (Medical Hardship, not sure if he is counted or not?)

Breaux
    Duplessis

Heard that Delvin Breaux has not recovered from his neck injury in HS and will also take a medical hardship and Duplessis will take a grey shirt.

Faulk commits to play at LSU- NOLA.com

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Breaux was from a couple classes back. I was under the impression he never counted against the 85 limit because he was never cleared to play.

Duplessis doesn't help our number situation for this year's class because he'll count against that w/ a grayshirt.