Another Shocking Guilbeau thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Sep 27, 2010.

1. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I still think its the play calling. Cut out this BS option spread. Its not an attack, its not working.

Line the boys up and run it right at em

TRASH the option.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

You are a little all over the place. Putting Shep in more to play some wildcat and getting Lee into a game we are losing because JJ is not getting it done aren't really talking about quick fixes. Shep still ran plays at QB all summer and fall so it is not like we are completely installing something new that we didn;t do last year or in practice. Sometimes backups just have to play.

We just need WRs to pay and the play calling to allow for more success that means more catches that should be caught, less designed running plays for JJ, and forcing the defense to cover the whole field. You can't do that with 98% of your plays being short passes and running.

Crowton is here this year so no use of taking about that.

Lee has to do his part too to get on the field which hasn't really been the case. As he pointed out Lee has had chances and did pretty bad and I hope we give him another shot to redeem himself but I am not going to act like if he is given that chance he is automatic given his history.

I am pretty confident that is will be Crowton's last year but not Miles.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I agree, but I think I understand why they run it. What I don't understand is why they run it with JJ. Why don't they run it with Shep. They run it to make the defenses protect the edges, so the middle will soften up.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Guilbeau: You don't need a very good QB to win nine or 10 or 11 games. It's been done before and it can be done with this LSU team. This LSU team is much better than the last two teams. No one notices, though, because you all have QB on the brain.

Guilbeau: If the offense continues as it is, even if LSU wins 10 or 11 games, there could be a cleaning of the offensive staff. If they bring in Mettenberger, it would be a good idea to start fresh with a new off. coordinator.

Guilbeau: That's not true on game day. Gary Crowton runs the majority of the offense on game day and throughout the week with participation by Miles in the week and on game day. That's pretty normal. Again, it doesn't matter which is calling more plays, because both heads are on the line if the offense doesn't do well and they lose. Key word - lose. They haven't lost yet with a bad passing game.

Guilbeau: If Jefferson continues to be average and even below average and LSU wins, he'll still play. What us media guys are getting from the coaches is that they prefer Jefferson over Lee.

Guilbeau: I look at this season as a separate entity. Many fans, like yourself, are looking at this season with the baggage from the last two on top of it. You're not looking at it freshly, and if you did you'd realize that this is a better team than the last two even though the passing is not better. The defense, running game, offensive line and special teams are all better than the last two years. But you guys can't see it, because you're still upset from the last two seasons and want Miles gone.

Guilbeau: Survive an 8-4 finish? That will be an interesting situation. Miles might, but not Crowton. Remember, what could save Miles if he goes 8-4 is the fact that he has not had nearly the arrest problems other SEC schools have had. There have been no real controversies off the field. He hasn't embarrassed the school OFF the field. He continues to recruit very well. It will cost a lot to fire him. The team looks like it will be very good in 2011 because of a very good defense that is young, maybe a new QB and new offensive coaches. If he goes 8-4, he will likely have to clean house on his offensive staff in order to stay.

Well, put Guilbeau down for . . . Les stays and Crowton goes, no matter what. Jefferson plays and Lee sits, no matter what. And that LSU can win without a quarterback. He makes logical points, but I ain't do sure about winning without a quarterback.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

As for the check down, JJ relied heavily on Deangelo in this role over the summer and fall and has been missed.

I think having him back will eventually be a big help to the offense but I assume it will take a game or two for him to get back in the flow. However, Mitch Joseph will likely miss the Tenn game so he may have to take a big role and just run with it right when he steps onto the field.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

not against Florida, Bama and Auburn. We can beat Arkansas Im pretty convinced of that.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

What is up with TT, is he seriously overrated or just not in focus. I can excuse Shep, he is a first year receiver.

8. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Shep at QB is a gimmick, might save a few games short-term but will hurt you long-term. It's time to right the ship. The choice is Les Miles and the AD.

You might not like the choices but there are choices.

Short-term gimmick or possible long-term righting of the ship. The choice is not mine to make, if it were I would have gotten rid of Crowton in 2008 but it was not my choice to make.

If it were my choice right now, I would demote Crowton in about 10 minutes, but like I said not my choice to make.

Throwing QBs down the well is not going to solve this leak. IMHO

All is not lost, LSU will still have a 8-10 win season. To be honest, I was not expecting the Freshmen and the RS Freshmen to be this good. I really like our players, even the QBs.

What LSU needs is a playcaller short-term, get Lee in there and take an option play and run around the corner, I know.. he can't run worth ****.. I know...and knock the crap out of a couple of defenders. To show he is ready to play. Yes, I believe Lee can do it, whether he will is another issue, his chances with Crowton are slim though.

Lee looked pretty pissed off if you asked me in there the other night. He needs help, that is a play caller and a real OC.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

LSU is clearly a significantly better team than last year's or the '08 team. LSU can win without a QB, but we won't win without an offense. There's an important distinction to be made there.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That hurts too because he is a great blocking tight end.