Anthony Randolph Hires an Agent

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Carface, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Carface

Carface What the...?

2. swampmamma

swampmamma Founding Member

I think this was the wrong decision for him. I hope he doesn't regret it.

1 person likes this.
  3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Not that I'm questioning the validity of the article, but I find it funny that the writer pretty much cites a poster on an internet forum as a source.

4. LSUWill

LSUWill Freshman

Why is it that LSU can never seem to hold on to good basketball players. It's hard enough to get them and when we do they leave right away.

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

Here's a more reliable source:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/17784709.html

6. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

I never questioned the reliability, as I said. I just thought it was funny that he actually wrote: "A poster on an internet message board wrote he saw Randolph on a flight from Dallas, his home town, to Los Angeles on Sunday."

Clairice, your thoughts?

7. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

Every college has that problem. It's just most other colleges are better at using top talent and actually getting to the NCAA tournament and doing something with that talent before it's gone after a year.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i agree its a problem for any team lucky enough to get these players, but the schools that make a run with the talent have 2 or 3 or 4 of these guys. lsu had one---and he was only good for half the season.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Right. Just posted this in the Trent coach thread. And, guess what, the NC contenders just reload every year. Case in point. Memphis just inked Tyreke Evans, one of the few 5 stars left unsigned, who happened to ink after ... Derrick Rose announced going to the NBA. You don't recruit, you just reload.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=798168

The truth of the matter is today's college game, played at the top 10-20 (high major) level, is a game of recruiting and implementing a system that is repeatable and interchangeable. The systems must be teachable quickly and good players make the difference. Kids gravitate to the coaching philosophies of the coaches. Ben Howland, suffocating man to man d. Coach Williams, high scoring up-tempo. Coach Cal, pro-style open, free flow offense. LSU's style during its best recent years was, conservative low-post driven offense, plus hard-nosed defense. Those systems by and large get what we've gotten... big men, versatile wings, dependable but not spectacular guards.

We've been hurt by some of those bigs leaving early (primarily Bass and Thomas--although I can't blame Thomas, I do with Bass), and we've never seemed to recruit that great, impact guard.

Now, it'll be interesting to watch what Johnson does. He's known for offensive balance and preaches defense and rebounding. I think he'll open up the offense a little more and hopefully what we'll see is better sets, more motion and a little more offensive discipline, but also an emphasis on big man play (has continued throughout Trent's career). I see Trent hopefully continuing LSU's tradition of recruiting the big guys, but adding a very good PG or SG sprinkled into his recruiting classes, where Brady maybe could not.

From a recruiting standpoint, let's not overlook this point. We are just going to be deeper and more talented next year.

Randolph leaving--I can't blame him. If the NBA is telling him he's a lottery pick, he should consider it. The NBA never told Glen or Brandon that they were. But, also consider this. Truth of the matter is, IMO, Brady and Butch "overrecruited" bigs last year. When you look at what Randolph would have to deal with... sharing PT with Chris Johnson, Tas', and J'Mission Morgan, not to mention guys like Storm Warren and Dennis Harris (who will prove to be nice additions), it's hard to fault the guy.

We have to get used to this folks. Next year, it may be Morgan that leaves (probably not, I'll give him two years).

10. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

The King of dumb questions has another one.. Why does a player need a agent before he is drafted? Can't a player declare for the draft & wait to see where he is drafted & by what team & then decide if he wants to go?? Or will the pro teams not draft a kid who does not have a agent? Could a Lottery pick player have talks & a handshake deal with a team before the draft without being inelgible to return to school if things didn't go as planned?