Anti-Vaxxers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Feb 5, 2015.

?

Do you believe Parents should legally have to immunize/vaccinate their children?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

It's all the talk right now and saw where some discussion had begun in another thread but thought it deserved it's own considering the magnitude. To me this isn't, and shouldn't be, a political issue because it seems pretty cut and dry that every child should be immunized. There is a point where an individuals right has to end when it infringes upon the greater good and this is the perfect example as far as I am concerned. Said another way: I am willing to forego my right to opt my children out of vaccination in order to ensure the greater good. Honestly, I have to pinch myself from time to time to make sure that we are really having this conversation.

I think the most phenomenal thing about the times in which we live is that it appears that conspiracy theorists are on the rise and, even more frightening, they are allowed into the mainstream conversation now. Take any issue you want where there are "experts" in that respective subject. 99 of said experts can say that their research has concluded A and only 1 of them can say that their research has turned up B.....and there is a segment of the population who, without hesitation, assume that the 1 guy is on to something.

Your thoughts please?

mobius481 likes this.
  2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Why did I cast no?

Because the school system can put such measures in place, as most do, to X this bullshit argument.

If a family wants to go live on a farm and not bother anyone, leave them alone. As soon as their kids step foot on a public school system, boom, they get the required shots.

LSUDad and LSUTiga like this.
  3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

While I am all for vaccines, I am strongly against the gvt telling me or anyone else what I "MUST" do. Put the information out there and allow me to choose what I want to do with my child.

That said, I think it is foolish to not protect them with vaccines for not other reason than "I just don't want to" or as TNC mentioned, some whack job conspiracy theory. If there is a valid medical reason then okay but not very much other than that.

Geezer Squid and tirk like this.
  4. Tiger in NC

Agreed, and I should have clarified that. I'm not advocating that the federal government intervene because I agree with Pride that this should be something handled at the local level. As far as I know that is the way it has always been handled. There are indeed rare cases of kids with certain diseases where immunizations don't make sense and those cases are understandable. Where my problem lies is with folks who do it for idealogical reasons or based on testimony of a quack doctor and then expect their kids to mingle with the general population.

Agreed here also. I have no problem with it if they want to isolate themselves but there have to be restrictions imposed by some authority to prevent them from mingling with the general public.

I might need to edit that poll to clarify

5. Tiger in NC

I cannot edit the wording of the poll

6. shane0911

It's tricky but you can.

Take it down and start over

7. Tiger in NC

when I hit edit and go to the page where I created the poll I don't see an option to take it down. should i look somewhere else? will I have to take the entire thread down?

8. shane0911

Let me see if I can fix.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I wouldn't worry about it. Concept is the same.

You don't what to get your kids shots? Cool, stay out of the public like schools work etc...

win/win.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

home schooled kids die early from weirdness anyhow.