Anti-Vaxxers

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger in NC, Feb 5, 2015.

?

Do you believe Parents should legally have to immunize/vaccinate their children?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

At my school, they are supposed to be out of sheltered ESL classes and into the general ed population within two school years (some exit sooner.) We also have co-taught ESL classes with two teachers to meet the more demanding needs of the ESL students who are recently out of the second language program.

Not surprisingly, as Plano has Hispanic immigrants, but also many Asian immigrants, the Asian students fly out of ESL sheltered classes and usually are taking honors-level classes within 2-3 years.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I would imagine that the Asian kids pretty much all speak, read and write good English. I'm not surprised that there are lots of Asians in the Dallas area with all the high tech businesses in the area. Are there many Indians? A few years ago I spent about a month in the Research Triangle between Raleigh and Durham, NC and there are Indian restaurants everywhere.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The area of Plano, where I live, is around 50% Asian/Indian. My daughter's elementary school has a 40% Asian/Indian demographic. My 10-year-old was attracted only to Chinese boys until very recently--hey, at least, they'll make good money one day! Of course, many of the Asian parents don't let their kids associate with the American kids--some, but not many.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Its OK in Texas. Bobby Hill had an Asian girlfriend

[​IMG]

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Well said Red.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The government isn't telling you. You're smart enough to know better so you take it upon yourself to see to your child's well-being. The government is telling people too stupid to follow through with immunizing their child so yours doesn't get sick. I have no problems at all with the government doing this.

Seat belts, asbestos, insurance, etc. It's all the same if you ask me. I disagree with the principle because the government shouldn't have to take this step. However, this doesn't account for stupid people so some measure must be taken to enforce what's best for the general population that doesn't need to be told to do these things.

What perturbs me is that this is even a topic of discussion. The only reason why the government stepping in to mandate it is because the real danger is not in an Anti-vaxxer's kid getting something, but them spreading it to my kid or others. That people refuse to comply with decades of scientific data that come to an overwhelming consensus with a clear plan of action to mitigate human loss of life just blows my mind.

Of course the same thing can be said about global warming...

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

So how many cases of bad things spreading around because a kid didn't get vaccinated?

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The US experienced a record number of measles cases during 2014, with 644 cases from 27 states reported to CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. This is the greatest number of cases since measles elimination was documented in the U.S. in 2000. Last month alone, 102 people from 14 states were reported to have measles. Most of these cases are part of a large outbreak reported at Disneyland.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

not only "religious reasons" but also "personal beliefs"

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

whether your kids wear seat belts or not does not affect other people's health though.