Any advice for garage to bedroom conversion?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Guillotine, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Guillotine

Guillotine One Vicious Dude

Jic lighting strikes nearby o_O

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I would avoid putting a shitter in it, but thats just a personal preference.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

It’s hard to break up that front door parking, but I just mean how it blends into the house. Some people can make it look right. Others, not so much. We turned ours into a weight room. I haven’t parked in a garage in a very long time.

4. Guillotine

Guillotine One Vicious Dude

funny you mention that ours will be a gym for the first year or until we join a gym. We have a crapper near in a different area. Fired up about getting a TV and cable mounted once complete. Hopefully after we paint the whole house it will look smooth. This home owning BS is expensive like a mother flipper.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Home owning is expensive unless you have mad skills as a plumber, electrician, carpenter, painter and roofer. Which I don't. I am a good painter but I am no longer willing to do a big project myself.

In 2000 I hired the guy who cuts my grass to put a new roof on my house. I thought it would last at least 25 years but a couple of years ago I had to replace it. Seems my yard guy just nailed the new shingles on top of the old ones and didn't replace any bad plywood and I started to get leaks.

6. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Do you plan to sell the house? If so, you might want to skip the conversion and go get a bigger house. Converting the garage will make the house go down in value unless you add another garage. So you are paying more for the conversion than you think. Not only will the house be worth less, it will take longer to sell (which could cost you more money).

KyleK likes this.
  7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

That is true. But at the same time, there are some people that jump on it. I have seen one converted garage, but the people built a separate carport in front of it. The biggest selling point about doing that (and maybe why they did it), was that they had an extremely long driveway. The conversion looked awful, but points for the carport.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

"Fast Eddie lets shoot some pool" Learned pool on an old Brunswick with leather pockets. The movie The Huster inspired me to learn the game. Used to hustle a bit around NOLA. Got too dangerous as I got better rough crowd to try to hustle. Al Werling was the best shooter in the city at that time but ever tried to play him had too many thugs surrounding him.
    all3.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Hire a contractor. The shitty taste of a bad job lasts a lot longer than the sweet taste of cheap.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

He should go to Home Depot and grab a few of the Mexicans hanging around looking for work. They will work hard all day for the price of a Burrito Supreme.

shane0911 likes this.