Any chance of getting an ASU game torrent?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gumborue, Sep 7, 2004.

1. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Forgive my ignorance but is Supernova a pay-per-media or what??
    Shaqazoolu, is all you need to use S-video a decent graphics card on your comp. that has a S-video output?

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

supernova is a bittorrent search site.

what the hell am i saying, i meant my parents physical address.

i need to look into this proxy thing, because they seem to be one step ahead of me on the blackouts.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A proxy is a server somewhere on the internet that will pass the data back and forth as an intermediary between your computer with its own unique ip identifier and the servers you want to access. If you look long enough you can find proxies that are anonymous. In other words they don't pass your own ip into the headers along with their own ip #s. You could be looking at a site from New Jersey but the only info the site you want to see will get is that they are being accessed from China, Russia, Korea, or anywhere else in the world that you find a workable proxy for.

You can proxify your browser. In IE go to Tools, Internet Options, LAN Settings and check the button under proxy server. Then put in a proxy and the correct port for that proxy and click OK. SOCKS proxies seem to work the best for some reason. SOCKS proxies will usually be on port 1080.

4. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

No ignorance bud....I don't know a whole lot of people that know about bit torrent and such. I use Azureus as opposed to BitTorrent because you can set priority and make your own torrents. The layout is very similiar to the Napster of old.

Anyway, no, suprnova.org is not a pay site. You simply go to the site, which I might add is highly unreliable and slow sometimes, but still worth it 10 times over. When you find a file you want, download it. This file that you INITIALLY download contains a tracker which tells the proper program where to download the actual file from (in terms of users). There are several that will work but my favorite is Azureus....the most simple and most popular is BitTorrent. Google either of those and you will find what you are looking for.

As for the S-Video hookup, yes, all you need is a decent video card with S-Video output and a TV with S-Video input, change a few display settings and you are in business. In my case I have the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB card, however I am a pretty big online gamer so you don't necessarily have to go this extreme. Problem: you will have to have some decent speakers on your computer because that is where the sound from the video will still be coming from. There is a way you can rig it to where you can get it to come from the TV but my computer is right next to my TV so I never worried about doing it. Common sense would tell me that all you would need is a good sound card with the red and white audio cable outputs that you could run to your TV.

I hope this is clear enough to help you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

5. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

All right,
    I have a Sony Vaio laptop that is fairly new (paid about $1800 10 months ago, it has a P4 2.8 G). I can download my high 8 video camera into it and edit video so I assume I have a decent video card. How can I stream the audio and video to my big screen TV Saturday?

I have the HD digital cable box from Cox that appears to have a USB port in the front of it. Can I run a USB cable from my laptop to the cable box?

Help Please?

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

USB would be too slow, even USB 2.0. You probably have a digital video out on the laptop. If you have an input on your TV, youre good to go.

7. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

Thanks
    What would a digital video out look like on my laptop? It looks like i have a place to plug in an additional cpu monitor, would this be it?

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

With any luck you may have an S-Video out on it. Laptop tho... dunno...

9. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

No S video plug. THere is a Yellow, red (mic) and green (audio, i think). 3 USB 2.0 slots and the little metal plug for downloading (maybe uploading too) video. There is a paralle port for and external monitor.

10. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

The USB hookup should work, however I don't know how it would work if you stream both audio and video. Like LSUGrad said, it is a little slower than S-Video and streaming both at the same time might be kinda choppy if it works at all. Just video would be fine cuz I have a digital camera that streams video to my computer via USB...if that is indeed what that USB port on your HD box is for. If you hook that up to your computer though, it's gonna detect it as a peripheral and you will have to install some type of device to make it work. If your HD box came with an installation CD of some sort this shouldn't be a problem.

A type of serial port I believe is what you are looking at on your laptop...which is what another monitor would hook up to. What you need is a S-Video output...which looks like the port that an external mouse would plug into, assuming your mouse isn't USB. If you do manage to get the video run to the TV, you will still run into the problem of the sound unless you have the red and white audio jacks on your laptop too.