Any evangelicals here?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by olVENICEdog, Jan 17, 2005.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I know w/out all the evangelicals Bush would have lost. Could someone tell me more about this religion? Is it like being born again Christian? Just wondering?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Its really very simple, Most Americans are conservative and are tired of the liberals running the Supreme Court.
    On Bush's watch this time around some of them are going to have to be replaced.
    The news media will tell you anything else but this is why the vote came out to support G W Bush IMO.

Not everyone that is conservative is a Christian either for what its worth.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your giving Kerry too much credit if it was Gore I might've believed it.
    Bush would've won anyway without the evangelicals IMO, the margin
    wouldn't have been as big obviously.

3. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Evangelical is not a religion to my knowledge. Simply put it is one who evangelizes or proclaims. Some religions call themself the the evangelical this or that but it really doesn't mean anything according to the Bible. Which would be a different discussion. Some people are called to be evangalist in the church and that is the bottom line on that subject. So some sects grab this and create evangelical because they like titles. So it would be those who claim to be the most vocal part of the born again Christians. It is also a term the media likes to through out in the effort to put everbody in a box and create division. It is not seperate or different from the Christian Faith. Bush won more because people are embracing conservative values more than anything and also the security of the nation.

A few years ago it was the Christian Coalition a Pat Robertson group that garnered attention now they have a new catch phrase evangelical. No Biggie.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Evangelicals are often confused with fundamentalists. They are similar, but fundamentalism is a subset of evangelicalism, although it is the largest part, by far, in total numbers.

Harriet Harris wrote, "Evangelicals tend to set themselves apart from others in their view of the Bible, and to regard modern theology as essentially subjective for its refusal to submit to the authority of scripture. This assessment of the theological world lends a sense of identity to the many and varied groups within their ranks. They feel that they allow scripture to speak for itself, but that others subject God's Word to human judgement and interpret it selectively to suit their particular sensibilities.

Fundamentalism is a historical movement closely related to evangelicalism. It may be understood as a political or extremist element of evangelicalism. However, it is not sufficient to say only this. Many conservative evangelicals this century share with fundamentalists basic assumptions about the nature of biblical truth and authority, and for this reason are often described as fundamentalists themselves."

Billy Graham is an evangelical. Pat Robertson is a fundamentalist. There is a difference.

5. olVENICEdog

Colorado Springs a Mecca for Evangelical Christians
    by Jeff Brady*

All Things Considered, January 17, 2005 ยท When President Bush takes the oath of office this week, one group of Americans will take special pride in knowing he'll lead the country for another four years. Evangelical Christians are considered an important part of the coalition that re-elected him.

For a two-part report, NPR's Jeff Brady visits Colorado Springs, Colo., which for the past decade has been recognized as a center for evangelical Christian organizations.

Not long ago, Colorado Springs was a fairly small typical Western town with a mix of military people, blue-collar workers and a few colorful characters looking to escape city life. But today, it's a booming city that's home to more than 100 evangelical Christian organizations.

The city has become a special place for evangelical Christians, like Ted Haggard, pastor of the 11,000-member New Life Church and president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

Haggard came to Colorado Springs in 1984, and found what he calls a pastor's graveyard. Only 10 percent of the people went to church and, what he says were pagan-style religions had a good-sized following.

"The mega suburban churches weren't here at all, and there was a high percentage of New Age and satanic type of activity," Haggard says.

Colorado Springs was ripe for a spiritual transformation, he says. Dozens of other pastors came to the city, and many succeed in opening churches. Haggard's grew from 20 people meeting in his basement to a sprawling campus on the outskirts of the city. Today, his church is one of the largest in the state.

Colorado Springs also was becoming home to an increasing number of religious organizations, groups with a religious purpose that aren't churches. The largest such group is Focus on the Family, headed by James Dobson.

His multimedia ministry includes radio, television, film and video, magazines and books. Dobson's ministry centers on his, now daily, radio program, where he gives advice on family issues -- and more recently on politics.

In a broadcast shortly after the November election, Dobson expressed how grateful he was that Mr. Bush was re-elected and he criticized Democrats and the media. But Dobson also issued a pointed warning to the Republican Party.

"If they get disinterested in the values of the people who put them in office as they have done in the past, if that happens again, I believe the Republican Party will pay an enormous price in four years and maybe two," Dobson said.

Evangelical leaders promise that in coming years they'll be even more active in politics. And Colorado Springs will continue to be a base from which the evangelical movement launches initiatives that affect civic life across the nation.

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Be very afraid olVENICEdog!!
    The Christians are coming , The Christians are coming....
    And they are going to take over the world. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7. olVENICEdog

I see that. I like how that guy said that if the Republicans step out of line then they will feel the power. These people are extremist and fanatics. What ever happen to staying in the church and shutting your pie hole?

8. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Freedom of speech buddy. All people have beliefs of some sort and in the proper setting and manner have a right to express them and be heard. They not out demanding you tithe or anything they just don't want thier moral values compromised and don't feel they should be living in a closet. The founding fathers expressd thier religious beliefs it's nothing new. I would say that I don't know where it says tht if you belong to a christian church you have to keep your mouth shut.

By the way what exactly are they saying that offends you so much.

9. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

Why do church people have to shut their pie hole?. I have never understood that because you identify yourself as a beliver you lose the same right as poiltical groups. I fear that in our rush not to offend or say something is wrong we have take the rights of some groups away. Just my Opinion.
    :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am too lazy to read all of this. but i will say that i am the king of religious criticism around here, and i never see anyone telling religious people to shut their pie-hole except for at functions sponsored by my tax dollars for the purpose of running my government. and even then only if they are real showy about it and do it in front of everyone.