Any fear of decommits in 2009

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mobius481, Apr 6, 2008.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

With our limited amount of schollies and lot of interest from lots of players, is there any chance guys will commit to save a spot and continue to look around. It seems like this wouldn't be a bad tactic to use as a recruit, except for the whole unethical, lying part about it. Thoughts?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Always a possibility but Miles can also pull their offer if he sees them window shopping and they could be left in the cold. Seems like that happened last year to a recruit that was a little on the dim side.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I think the one recruit to watch for is Drayton Calhoun but I am only slightly worried.

4. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

I was going to say the same. Alot of GA folks think it's only a matter of time before he decommits and reopens his recruiting. Henry Orelus is another. I don't think any of the big in-state FL schoools have offered yet (but they should soon).

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Red brought this up in another thread recently, and Janzen Jackson was the only player that I could see decommitting. I think he's solid to LSU, but if his dad gets a job at Tennessee it will be tough to keep him in Louisiana (and by all accounts - his dad is a stand-up guy who is not using his son to get the job, but staying close to his dad is a big part of him staying in Louisiana right now).

However, I started thinking about this more with our limited # of scholarships... With a new defensive coaching staff, we've got new coaches evaluating these guys & they may not be seeing the same things that the old staff saw. But, looking at our commits, the only player I'm thinking that our new staff might not like is Barrow. We may decide to go in a different direction (Tahj Jones) there.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I will second everything CParso just said.

If I had to put a number on Jackson, I would say 85 %.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

What makes y'all think that Tahj Jones > Barrow? I thought Barrow was the #2 LB in Louisiana behind Mingo.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Personally, I think Tahj is better. But all that really matters is who fits in best with the new coaches' philosophies & how they rate the players, which may not be Barrow.

I'm not saying that Barrow doesn't fit with the new scheme or isn't as highly valued by the new coaches - I'm just not sure. He's just the only defensive recruit that I could see that being the case with, as all of our other guys look like they'd fit in any scheme.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I posted this in the Lamin Barrow thread, but one thing that impressed me about Barrow was what the recruiting coordinator for ESPN/Scouts Inc., Craig Haubert, wrote about the Baton Rouge Nike camp that Barrow, Mingo, and Tahj attended. Of the three, Haubert was most impressed with Barrow:

While scouting the linebackers, Barrow stood out. ... Mingo displayed much better upside, but Barrow might have been the best linebacker out there Sunday

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=3372117

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I think Barrow is a solid prospect, but I view his upside as relatively limited & I'm not sure that he's the type of LB that Chavis likes.