Any Gardeners Here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by KyleK, Apr 20, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

How do you tell when a watermelon is ripe? I had one growing and it has this black fungus looking stuff on the end of it. Like it had started to rot? I'm dog sitting for a friend and the stupid dog keeps trampling my melon vines. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Anyway, I would imagine it needs to turn green right? It was getting there but I plucked it anyway because of the black stuff and it wasn't even close. Anyway...

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Old Cajuns thomp it with their middle finger.

There is a leaf in the fork of the stem and runner of the plant that dries up when it's ripe, if I remember correctly. I'll look and see what I can fetch ya.

EDIT: Yep. Here ya go.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...ast&sigb=14bdqtph7&hspart=avast&hsimp=yhs-001

3. shane0911

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

A little update:

So far, we have given away about 800 pounds of squash, 400 pounds of Irish potatoes, several bushels of peas, about 50 watermelons, who knows how many onions, and about 200 tomatoes. The okra are just starting to come in, never got all of the peppers replanted. We have had huge amounts of rain that has made things insanely difficult. Our corn will be ready in about another 2 weeks. We have about 3,000 stalks. Gonna be a lot of corn! Hopefully our peanuts haven't rotted with all the rain. We are just letting the rest of everything finish up so that we can turn the whole field under again.

Pretty successful first spring.

LSUTiga and LSUDad like this.
  5. shane0911

6. KyleK

Update on the garden. It is getting bigger every year. We have 3 locations now. Our main garden, which is fully cleared now (that's been a 3 year project) and about 1.6 acres, our small garden which is about 1/4 acre and another across town that is, right now, about 1/2 acre. It has more room to grow as we need it and can manage it.

The main garden is planted. We have corn, okra, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, peanuts and potatoes. We planted 200 pounds of potatoes...should yield about 2000 pounds or so. 1.5 pounds of corn (16 rows, 150' long), about 325 squash hills and so on. It is getting bigger every year. This year, the 4H club from across the street came and helped plant the potatoes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front section is squash, to the right is potatoes, in the back is the corn, okra, tomatoes, peanuts, etc. The weedy looking area to the back left is where we have planted several different types of fruit trees. We also have a bee colony on site now.

CajunlostinCali likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You should start a franchise and call it Gardens R Us

8. KyleK

Actually, one of the goals is to start neighborhood gardens all over town. Get people out of their homes to tend to them. They will meet their neighbors. They will watch out for each other. Crime will go down and they will get free food.

kcal likes this.
  9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

God, you reminded me of my worst childhood memory--harvesting potatoes. That and learning to ride a bike on a "gravel" road made of shells.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

You were sensitive from the beginning weren't you.

shane0911, kcal and Bengal B like this.