Any Hunters in TF?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Sep 16, 2007.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Teal season opened yesterday and Fishhead's thread made me think of hunting. What is your favorite game to hunt and share a fond memory....or two.

2. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

I consider myself an avid deer hunter but I haven't been in the woods in 2 years due to work. I like to hunt squirrel/rabbit also. Wading into waist deep water to retrieve 2 ducks in 30ยบ weather broke me of any interest in duck hunting at the tender young age of 13 (and of interest in another important matter for a few days).

I've usually hunted in the Chipola/Darlington/Greensburg areas. I'd be interested in joining an inexpensive hunting club in that area, or in the northern part of Livingston Parish if anyone has a lead.

At age 8 I was placed at the bottom of an oak tree with a .30-30. My uncle guaranteed a deer at that location. An hour later I awoke with an average 4-pointer sniffing my boots. Of course my arms were folded with the rifle across my lap. I briefly studied the situation and, being an inexperienced youngster, chose to act quickly. But not quickly enough. That deer was 40yds away and approaching warp 3 before I could even get the safety off. I'm sure he's still runnin.....:(

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I mainly hunt deer, but that is most likely b/c I suck at shooting birds. And its usually too damn cold.

No good stories other than I dont go as much as I want to. I do think I am going to Alaska soon which would be awesome.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I hunt. My family has a hunting lodge in Kemper County, MS (newar Meridian, MS) so I hunt alot. We're supposed to go dove huntin up there this weekend. Bow season starts soon. We have a 38 acre lake (stocked), 2 cabins and probably 20 food plots. Good times!

2 people like this.
  5. Luv4LSU

Luv4LSU Founding Member

i use to hunt those split-tails when i was younger. couldnt catch one of those now if i tried

1 person likes this.
  6. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

My father-in-law got me, city boy, into hunting deer near St. Francisville back in late 80s early 90s. The camp members were all like him, country boys who grew up in the woods, part coon every one. First season there I was enjoying the experience and listening to their stories. The first very cold morning, I resigned myself that I was going to show these tough guys and stay in the stand til 9am no matter how freakin cold I got. So I shivered and froze but gutted it out til 9. I quickly headed back to camp, thinking at least I stayed out as long as they did. Got to camp, and EVERY ONE of them was sitting around the camp stove with a nice wood fire blazing, been there since about 7am. To quote them: "well yeah we love to hunt deer, but we ain't stupid!".

1 person likes this.
  7. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

I am an avid hunter. My biggest passion is Bowhunting deer. I also hunt squirrels, ducks, doves, rabbitts, and turkeys.

My Grandfather taught me to hunt and we spent countless hours in the woods together. He died they way he would have choosen if given a choice. He was found sitting against a tree. Shotgun on one side, a gobbler with an eleven inch beard on the other and his bottle of nitro glycerin pills in his hands. He never got the top off.

2 people like this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I hunted a lot as a youth, but I don't much anymore. I never did really have the patience required to be a good deer hunter. And I can't dress out an animal worth a damn. Made a mess out of every one of them. I'll just stick to cleaning fish.

I have my property in Grant Parish leased to a neighbor now, and he gets one or two deers every year and a couple of wild hogs. Wild Turkeys are plentiful up there and squirrel as well. I wish there was an armadillo season, the old place is overrun with the little suckers.

9. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I went with my husband a few times when we were dating. He still likes to tell people about the first time I saw wild turkeys take flight. I was convinced a bird that size could not fly. I believe my exact words were "What are those turkeys doing? Turkeys can't fly!" He fell out of the truck he was laughing so hard.

And how I got out of going on 3am hunts for good- my stomach was growling so loud the last time I went I scared all the woodland creatures. :grin:

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Learning more and more about trucks today. Not only can you hike in a truck, but you can also hunt in a truck!