Any Mystery Science Theater Fans Out Here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Kikicaca, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

They are supposed to be bad so bad they are good. MST 3K is not everyones cup of tea. For me it was not only the 3 characters making fun of the bad movies but the interaction between the human and the 3 robots that hooked me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

You missed the point...its SUPPOSED to be cheesy! And I'll be honest, some of the skits are funny, some are not. Its the movie commentary - the riffs - that make the show.
    Somewhere on YouTube is Joel Hodgson's original concept video - the pilot, as it were. Its terrible, but the local TV station (I think it was Minneapolis) he pitched it to thought enough of it to bring in a couple of comedy writers to develop it. The rest is history. Give it another chance, and if you must, skip over the skits.. I do that often. The movie commentary is all that matters.
    I do remember this as well. At the height of the show's popularity, they decided to do an episode for a theatrical release. They used a lousy sci-fi called This Island Earth. After showing it to a test audience, they went back and drastically reduced their script, because they found the audience was laughing so hard, they missed 2 or 3 jokes for every one they heard.

3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Hey both you and I forgot that before some of the movies there are shorts that sometimes are funnier than the movie episode. I remember one about dating and one about hygiene that were very funny.

4. mctiger

My favorite is the two city kids who send the summer at their cousin's dairy farm. But I could do without ever seeing "B Natural" again!

5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I liked the one call Is this Love and there was one about cheating in school.

6. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Never saw it. Is it like The Orville? that's a fun new campy sci-fi series that i really like. Watched a lot of sci-fi shows - Star Trek (prolly each episode twice), Battle Star Galactica, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine.....thinking of checking out Dark Matter or Stranger Things

7. mctiger

I've never seen The Orville, but MST3k really has nothing to do with scifi or any particular genre. Go to the episode I posted at the beginning of the thread and check it out. Don't get caught up in the story they're trying to tell in the program intro or the cheesiness of the production; it all means nothing. The point of the show is making fun of crap movies. Get to that part and hang on.....

8. mctiger

@GiantDuckFan In addition to Space Mutiny and Catalina Caper, check out Manos, Hands of Fate, a movie so bad and cheaply done I think I could cover its budget and not hit my credit card limit.

Read what I told Frogleg above before wading in.

Bengal B and GiantDuckFan like this.
  9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I liked "voyager" the most, especially after 7 of 9 showed up,..forgot about "the Orville", watched the first 4 or 5 episodes, liked the first two pretty much, I'll recheck it out when I start reefing again.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

7 of 9 was the best thing about Voyager. Other than that I like Next Generation and Deep Space 9 best.