any pistol suggestions

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUsupaFan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am moving to Atlanta, and want to but a pistol for personal protection. Anyone have any suggestions. I looked at some 38s, but wasn't impressed.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have been very happy with my Glock .40 caliber. It has a little more stopping power than a .38 or a 9mm. Glock has a great reputation for reliability. In a test by Guns & Ammo a Glock 9mm was fired over 17,000 times without ever being cleaned it didn't misfire once. A new Glock should run you about $475. If you want to step up from the Cadillac of pistols to the Rolls Royce buy a Sig Sauer if you can afford it. I'm thinking about buying a Sig Sauer .45. Its almost $1000.

Georgia, like Louisiana is one of the states where you can get a license for concealed carry. If you already have a concealed carry license in Louisiana you will probably want to check to see if Georgia has a reciprical agreement to honor licences from other state. You can probably get that info at the NRA website

http://nra.org/

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

If you're looking for a revolver for concealed carry get a snub nose .357 so you have the power of the .357 but can shoot .38 rounds for practice. If it is not for concealed carry get a longer barrel for better accuracy. If it is for home protection or if you don't necessarily want a revolver it's a no brainer get a .45. I have had a snub nose Smith and Wesson .357 for years and it has been a wonderful pistol. I also have several .45 semi auto's and my favorite by far is my Kimber Ultra Carry, very light very small but very accurate and reliable. If you are going to depend on a weapon as protection and not just to go shoot cans spend a few xtra dollars and get a quality made gun. There are many cheap brands out there but the price you may pay for an unreliable pistol used for personal protection could be you or your families life. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Take your time and look at them all find the one that fits your needs not someone elses. :thumb: :thumb:

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If money is tight you might want to check out your local pawnshops. Almost all pawnshops sell guns. Last Christmas I wanted to give my 2 nephews each a .22 semi automatic rifle. After checking out a few gun stores I was shocked at the prices that .22s have gone up to. I went to a pawnshop and they had 2 identical Marlin .22s in new new condition. They were listed at $119 each Since I was buying both of them I talked the pawnshop owner into selling them to me for $80 each. The kids have fired hundreds of rounds with them since Christmas with no problems. If they take good care of them they should last long enough for them to pass them down to their own children.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What is the going rate for the Kimber Ultra Carry? How does it compare to the Sig Sauer .45?

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I payed $500 for mine about 5yrs ago, they have a newer model Ultra Carry II that runs from around $650-$725 new.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i know nothing about guns, but i think it would be fun to have a real cheap 22 to shoot beer cans with. can i just go down to a pawn shop and spend 100$ for a pistol? do i have to jump through some legal hoops and fill out forms and background checks?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

In New York they will probably throw you in jail for even thinking about buying a pistol. Most everywhere else you fill out a form and they do an instant background check to see if you have a criminal record. If you don't you can leave with your pistol.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Could not have replied much different so I edited you quote a little.

One othe option is what I call the baby GLOCKS. Not sure of the model numbers. These guns are smaller therefore easier to conceal but take normal clips.

Some glocks are hard to come by due to local agencies and the Feds all carrying GLOCK's and they have to fill those contracts. I would say do not get the ported GLOCK if you plan on shooting at night The flash goes straight up and does cause some distraction when trying to fire that second shot. I get the same effect from an old flash bulb.

Glocks are also very simple to field strip.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Mine is the model 23 which is smaller than the full size .40. A couple of years ago I install a laser pointer that fits internally under the barrel. Where the laser dot shines is where the bullet hits.