any pistol suggestions

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUsupaFan, Jun 14, 2004.

1. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

For in-home protection by handgun, really consider a revolver over an auto, just because of the potential for the auto to jam (Not a dis to any model, but my Colt .45 has jammed on the range - could have been the ammo though). A S&W .357 is six shot, and should be all you need.

The best in-home protection IMO is a 20-gauge pump sans plug. Nothing like a shotgun blast for warding off the rest of the bad guys who have unlawfully entered your home. :wink:

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Yeah, I have the same version as you. I looked into the laser just haven't done anything. But you like it I see. I was considering getting one of the baby GLOCKS this week but haven't checked the availability or decided if I want another .40 or get a 9 this time. The .40 would give me more clips at my disposal but I was concerned about the recoil on the smaller gun.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Probably. But its no big deal unless you are on a known felon list. The last time I bought a gun, I filled out one form and the background check was done while they were ringing up the sale and trying to sell me a case, a holster, and six boxes of target loads.

Now, the only gun I ever bought at a gun show was cash and carry. The only check he did on me was to count my money after I did. They may have tightened up at gun shows, though.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They do the background checks at gun shows now. Or at least the last time I bought something at a gun show but that was from a dealer who had a store also. Maybe you could buy a gun from a smaller independent dealer without a check.

5. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

I have two Beretta 9mms. One is the 92SF compact. The other is a Cougar.

I'm going to trade one of them in and get a 45 ACP Cougar or a .357 Sig Cougar. I want some stopping power.

I'm partial to Berettas. I don't care for the plastic glocks.

I wouldn't waste my time with a .38.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah here in LA you dont even have to register a gun. buy one from the paper or someone you know and just go shooting.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I tried shooting a Beretta 9mm once and it just didn't feel comfortable in my hand for some reason. I ended up buying a Browning Hi Power 9mm instead that I still enjoy shooting now and then.

8. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

That's a very nice pistol.

I just want a .45 or .357 real bad. If I shoot someone, I want them to knock them down instantly. Chances with the 9mm or real slim unless its a shot to the forehead.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I have the same pistol as BB that I purchased from an ex police officer. It has night sights and feels great in your hand. Almost like a perfect C cup. Its hard to explain.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Cops are a good source for pistols of all types. I bought a Charter Arms .38 Special snub nose from a cop for $100 and I can't believe how accurate it is for a snub nose. I went to a firing range one time with a friend and his girlfriend. The girl told me she had never fired a gun of any kind but when I let her shoot it she put her first grouping very close to the bullseye.