Any runners here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by GregLSU, Sep 6, 2016.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

After my girlfriend and I completely overhauled our eating habits April of '14, she started getting out and running. It took me about a year to start running with her, and it was terrible for the first few months. But over the last almost 18 months I built my base up to about 5M's a run, roughly 4x a week and even added a cpl of runs a week around 6-7M's.

Since June hit, my base has dropped to where it's a struggle to get in 4M or more per run. We're running the Red River Revel 15K on Oct. 1st, and have registered for the San Diego Half on March 12th.

Besides just getting out and trudging through each run trying to build mileage, any ideas or training techniques I can use to bust through this barrier? Or am I just screwed until the weather begins to cool down?

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't lots of carbs supposed to be good for runners? My advice is to eat lots of pizza and wash it down with beer.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ask @KyleK for running advice. He is Forrest Gump in real life. Either that or he might be Kenyan

GregLSU likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

kyle will be here shortly.

GregLSU likes this.
  5. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Do you do any weight lifting? Maybe some deadlifts and leg presses? I mean, I don't do legs, but I've heard that helps some runners with building muscle for endurance.

GregLSU likes this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Through cutting out simple carbs, processed foods, and running, I have dropped from 285# to 185/190#. I still eat some carbs but only the low glycemic kinds. Kind of worried about taking in the carb fuels and other things runners take in for long runs, since my weight can quickly start fluctuating upwards.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

good point. weight lifting helps just about everything.

GregLSU likes this.
  8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Your body needs fuel. Carbs are fuel. You should definitely look into some pasta before big runs

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

At one time I spent a decade living in the gym. My focus used to be to be as big as 2 people, and built up to 305#. Now I am in my early 40's and have refocused my priorities to longevity and a leaner more symmetrical physique. Of course I destroyed my R shoulder back in '09, so it has made it harder to lift much anymore. I have put forth some thought in rejoining a gym to focus of legs and core tho.

10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

We spent 8 days in San Diego 2 weeks ago, and thanks to the gorgeous weather I was able to effortlessly run 8M, and still had the endurance and energy to continue running. Come back home and it's been struggle after struggle.

LSUTiga likes this.