Any runners here?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by GregLSU, Sep 6, 2016.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I hate running, but i do it basically every day. 6'2, 240

GregLSU likes this.
  2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I've gotten my mileage back to around 5-6M 2x wk, and 3.1 2x a week. We'll be running the Revel 15K Saturday morning.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I try to avoid talking about exercise in real life because it can be annoying to others but will use this thread to get it out of my system. Different things work for different people. I heard during the Olympics that Usain Bolt has never run more than a mile, which is close to my goal as I don't enjoy running (except for this time of year during the 1st cool front). For reference, I'm about 6' and 175 lbs (170 lbs when I finished HS about 20 yrs ago).

I started attempting to do as many different things each month and keeping track of it in excel. I've found that I actively work out about 17 days each month, which I think provides enough rest days for recovery. Some of the below items are the only thing I'll do in a day while others are stacked (i.e. might work out with weights and then play an hour of basketball).

1. Upper body workout about once/week. Starts with heavy/compound lifts with longer breaks between sets and some higher rep isolation (including pullups, dips, etc.). I include all muscle groups within each weekly workout (which may not be recommended but works for me).
    2. Basketball about once/week. Mostly pickup but I try to include an individual bball workout at least once/month.
    3. Volleyball about once/month (indoor or sand, depending on when I can play).
    4. Disc golf about once/month. While I play with friends when I visit Louisiana, it's usually just playing by myself at a park near my house and I go when the course is empty (early mornings, heat of summer) and get some sprints and running up and down the hills while playing.
    5. Group exercise classes at the gym, usually will do one of them per week (either BodyPump, BodyAttack, or BodyCombat). Similar to playing sports, trying to keep up with everyone else makes me push harder than if I tried to do something like running by myself. These classes have really helped my core and lower body in recent years.
    6. Tennis about once/month.

I've started stretching much more in my late 30s with particular emphasis on hips and Achilles (calf stretch). I also try to do a couple of 15 hr water-only fasts (basically just skipping breakfast) and a 20-24 hr fast each month. It seems like there are a lot of health benefits to fasting and helps me to neutralize the effect of eating and drinking (beer, wine, liquor) whatever I want on weekends.

I'm by no means in 'elite' shape but I'm much stronger than 20 yrs ago (bench is prob 50 lbs higher), can still keep up with guys 20 years younger on the court, and don't feel like I over-train with so many rest days.

GregLSU likes this.
  4. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i love running, or the feeling it gives me. Been running for 15 years, i'm 48 now. I use to run 5m/day but i now run 4m/every other day. I find alternating days allows my body time to recover well. Also, running days are high carb days (Chioptle).

I don't run on the roads anymore, it will eventually take a toll on your joints and back. I only use a treadmill with good shock absorption (Sole). I used to alternate running with rowing but i have no real routine on my off days....may go walk a few golf holes, row, a little swimming, or nothing. I will soon get into biking.

I've heard that alternating swimming with running is especially good for allowing your back to recover from running. I agree.

Good luck. It's worth it.

5. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I don't do much other than run, altho I do get in the pool here and run in the 4'-5' water. Gives great resistance and is easier on the knees and ankles.

6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

The Revel 15K was a pretty good time. Finished in 1:44:35.5, for a 11:13/M pace. A lot of hills and a little cooler weather, started off too slow trying to pace myself, but overall I'm pleased with the finish.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Excellent post. Running endorphins are hard to duplicate. I no longer run on roads anymore either. I'm either on the track or occasional trails but with the drought, mountain lions are visible almost daily near where I run. No thank you.

I now alternate between running, swimming, elliptical, walking, volleyball. Those former injuries (back and shoulder) are a bitch.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I just beat the street, the parking lot here at the apartment, or paths out at the park. Not ideal for ankle and knee health, but I can't seem to duplicate the resistance on a treadmill I seem to get from the pavement. I've only experienced a true running high a few times, but I love running and chase after it 4x week.

I don't blame you on the mountain lion thing, when they get desperate they don't play around.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You have nothing to worry about. Mountain lions don't attack cougars. Professional courtesy

GregLSU and shane0911 like this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lol. They eat money, honey.....don't matter what the age.