any thought of moving the WCS?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Ralph_Wiggum, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I know Omaha is the tradtional location and they do a great job. But has there been talk of moving the CWS. The NCAA Final Four moves and so does the Hockey championship.

What about having the CWS in Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field or Dodger Stadium when those teams are on long road trips? It would be cool IMO if they had the CWS in those places in pretty good cities. It might be awesome to see LSU win a CWS in Yankee Stadium or Wrigley Field.

2. bbrundemon

bbrundemon Freshman

I disagree. I think one of the best things about baseball is tradition. It is a sport that still has that nice old-school feel and charm to it.

To me Omaha carries some charm to the CWS (Road to Omaha).

not saying it wouldn't work, but to me nothing will ever beat Omaha.

3. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

I say keep it in Omaha.

4. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Ask any college baseball player where they want their team to go and the response you get is OMAHA! You don't hear the CWS, you hear OMAHA. The CWS belongs in Omaha and should stay there forever. I think it would lose some of its pure collegiate feel if it was ever moved.

5. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Tiger fans taking over Murphy's Bleacher Bar and the Cubbie Bear? Look out.

Naw, like the other responses, Omaha IS the college world series. If you have been up there during that week you would understand the connection.

6. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Like everyone else, I just don't think it would be the same if they moved the CWS. There was a point in the 90s where I thought that they should move the CWS to Baton Rouge though. LOL.

7. jarad

jarad Founding Member

I like the Omaha tradition myself.

8. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Same here, another vote for Omaha. I think the crowds would get swallowed up in most of the MLB stadiums and lose that college feel. I'm sure MLB would also like to get a nice cut for the "rental fee".

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

You bring up a good point! I wonder if the NCAA will ever get caught up in the $$$ and move the CWS to a larger venue?

10. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Hasn't Skip in the past talked about making college baseball bigger and more national? I have a feeling if--and that's a big if--another city made a proposal with more money and had some backing of the local mlb team and mlb it could be possible. I think with MLB always looking to control costs they may look at college baseball more like the nfl looks at college football.

Some cities such as St. Louis, Cleveland, Boston, Cinn, Chicago, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Pitt, and Detroit with smaller and/or newer ballparks with a long history of baseball in addition to bigger markets like New York or Los Angeles and good baseball towns like St. Louis may be attractive to the ncaa.