Any truth to what this teacher says?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Jun 3, 2015.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yes, I think so. I do have a problem with the whole liberal thing though. I'm a liberal I think and I can clearly see the pussification of this country and how political correctness has become more of a black eye than something that should be practiced.

gyver likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Easy there fella, you may offend someone.

Bengal B likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Racist!

5. LaSalleAve

Everyone is on some level or another, or bigoted, or classist, or whatever.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

First of all, This story is not about liberal students or professors at all. Nor is it something new. This is the old question of balance between freedom of speech and political correctness on campus. Teenagers are away from home and becoming adults and trying to express themselves and they say a lot of silly shit. There are as many animal house'ers out there as those condemning language or policies that might offend or upset any group of people in society. And lots more that are apathetic to it all.

Students are not universally liberal, there are an awful lot of conservative students out there. Most of them are politically neutral, though. Most of them don't give a rat's ass about this particular issue either. The ones that do, like all people with a cause, try to make little issues big to get attention.

This author got upset that a student complained about him. What a pussy. That shit happens all the time and has always happened. Most of it is triviality that is blown off but sometimes it is a problem that needs to be addressed. This guy got all bent out of shape and now blames campus political correctness because a student that didn't like him and tries to suggest that this is a snowballing dilemma. It ain't.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

It isn't the liberalization or pussyfication of America that is a concern but the rejection of critical thought, inquired and debate that is so worrisome. Feelings are not a basis for political decision or discussion. If anyone is worried about getting their feelings hurt by philosophical debate or scientific exploration either in school or in life then they aren't really interested in learning. If the society continues along this path, left or right we will be much poorer for it and our way of life will be at risk.

gyver and LSUDad like this.
  8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I bet that guy is really boring in class. I guess that "feelings stuff" does not apply to middle school. Feelings are at about the bottom of my list, learning math is at the top.

I routinely tell 8th graders not to get rid of their school tee shirts, since they are in all likelihood going to be needing them again next year!

tirk, LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  9. LaSalleAve

I think it needs to be pointed out that money and religion play a big role in the death of critical thinking as well.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/white-pri...minnesota/2015/06/03/id/648506/#ixzz3c3LU8WZX