Any truth to what this teacher says?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Without a doubt adherence to the literal truth of the bible by fundamentalist Christians and to the koran by Muslims and other religous falls right into my comment.
    Explain what you mean about money doing the same.

Bengal B likes this.
  3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

The "feelings stuff" is a big deal at the school where I teach. I've been here 18 years, and it's always been basically the same thing, though I did tell a 7th grader that he needed to get his head out of his butt the week before spring break this year. (I didn't yell that in front of the class.) Of course, I told my own 8th grader that about a month ago, but at least, her grades went up steadily after that point.

I think I used to be much more caustic with my students, but as I've gotten older, I've mellowed out much more. My nickname is Mama O, in fact.

Maybe it's because I teach English, not math? Language arts is all about feelings and emotions. And our district removed Tom Sawyer from the 7th grade honors curriculum about 5 or 6 years ago. I have a copy in my room, however, and when students are curious about it, I have them check it out and read it (we do a "reading workshop" every Friday where the students choose a book to read for the class period that is not related to curriculum. I've amassed a classroom library now of more than 2000 books, so my students check more books out from me than the library.)

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That's an abridged version, lol. More like for "telling sexually-themed jokes to undergraduate students......
    who specializes in early childhood education and trains elementary school teachers"

Obviously I have no clue if she's a good teacher or not but if you want to cuss and tell jokes with sexually themed humor when you are teaching childhood ed to elementary teachers, you should get fired just for being stupid.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Hilarious, I love it.

Reading programs are so stupid and counter-intuitive at times. My daughter was denied reading books in 8th that she was interested in because they were deemed "below the grade level".....and then was encouraged to read Harry Potter.....which she read in 4th grade. Some books that are approved have horrible language and adult "ish" situations.