Any word on Saban's new contract?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tiger_in_atl, Jan 21, 2004.

1. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I can't belive it. The man is about to sign a contract for several years and these goofs have nothing better to do but sit around and basiclly ASSUMe he is lying when he says he loves it here. DAMN where were you when he said he was staying??? if Jesus Christ came down and said LO VERILY SABAN WILL REMAIN at LSU for 5 more years what would you do? say that he could be wrong if the NFL has a trump card?
    You people kill me.
    As far as a buy out clause goes, they should try to get one if at all possible, byt SABAN has all the cards in his deck. You either play by his rules or go back to mediocre ball teams. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe next year Nick leaves, maybe he stays for 10 years, who knows?

What I find stupid is someone coming on here and saying ummm he SAYS he is happy at LSU BUT what he MEANT is yadda yaddaa yaddda.
    Hey man if I ever tell you something don't go behind my back and say I meant something else, OK?

I bet Nick Saban means what he says and says what he means.

2. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Well, you may be right and Saban was ACTUALLY considering an offer from the Chicago Bears.

But I heard a much different story and it was briefly hinted at on another LSU board and I am very surprised it has not surfaced here.

What I heard was that the LSU offer to Saban before the Sugar Bowl was, shall we say, "badly handled" by someone and Saban then decided to wait and actually talk to the Bears.

I heard that if the contract offer BEFORE the Sugar Bowl would have been handled "in the right manner" shall we say, Saban would have agreed to it then and the Chicago Bears would not have come down to Baton Rouge and make us all nervous.

I am not trying to start crap here, but I cannot believe others here have not heard the same story. Saban is staying, he will eventually sign the contract, and life is lovely, but I am pretty sure the story is true. I would consider it water under the bridge, so I think I can mention it now.

3. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

I believe the story I am alluding to is true because it fits in with two other things that happened.

It fits in with Terry Saban telling Sam King and the Chicago Tribune that they were not leaving Baton Rouge.

It also fits in with a perplexing statement that Nick Saban made at a press conference when asked about his contract before the Sugar Bowl.

Saban kind of blew off the question about his contract with a puzzling statement that "he understood there were two offers out there" (from LSU).

The story I heard explains why he said that.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

The book: Tiger Turnaround.

Sam King interviewed Coach Saban extensively and then wrote this book a couple of years ago. It's not a new book. I got the quote in my sig from this book. CNS is quoted extensively in the book. CNS gives his personal history, tells about his football playing days, his coaching career, his philisophy, goals, etc. CNS spills out his life story.

If there is another book out there in which CNS talks more about himself, then let me know, because I want to buy it. I believe that if you want to be able to intelligently discuss what drives CNS, then you've got to study him as a person and as a coach. Tiger Turnaround proves the deepest insight into who CNS is that I know of.

Am I smarter than all of the rest of you with regard to CNS because I read this book and you didn't? Maybe I am.

Here's what I gleaned from the book: CNS is not driven by the things that the newspaper writers says that his is driven by. All of the sports writers that have written all of the prognostications about what he wants as a coach and what his goals are have largely been WRONG.

CNS has never said that his goal is to be a HC in the NFL. CNS and his wife have never wanted to needed to make millions of dollars a year and never had a desire to be multi-millionaires. CNS has always found great personal satisfaction in coaching at the college level. CNS has never ever hinted that he would not be fulfilled as a coach unless he one day is a NFL HC.

Here's what I don't know: do CNS and Mrs. Saban like the hot weather in South La.? If they like the weather, I think they could end up retiring at LSU. EVERYTHING that I have learned about the real CNS indicates that he could be VERY happy ending his coaching days as a college football HC.

As long as LSU gives CNS the tools that he needs for his football program, chances are CNS will coach at LSU until he retires for good to enjoy life full-time with Mrs. Saban.

All you guys who think that CNS wants more money or won't be happy until he's HC of a NFL team need to explain to us what evidence you have seen that causes you to have that opinion.

I have seen evidence that says the opposite of what you think.

:geaux:

:lsug:

5. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Jean,

Those coaches books are about as legitimate as those books written by anyone running for president these days.

Coaches books written with a local newspaper guy are notoriously self-serving. Nothing against Sam--I met him once briefly he's nice, but those books are fluff.

I knew a sportswriter up North who wrote books with athletes and let me tell you, you won't get any warts and you'll get what best serves the athlete or coach in the book.

Nothing wrong with those books, but it's like reading "Everyman a King" or "My First Days in the Whitehouse" and thinking that's the real Huey Long.

6. Jean Lafitte

Did you read the book?

The book quotes CNS extensively. I don't think that Sam King made up stuff, put it in quotations and then claimed that CNS said these things.

CNS says things in the book that is consistent with what I've heard Mrs. Saban say in interviews and consistent with what CNS has said for a many years on many topics. CNS and Mrs. CNS have been very consistent and open through the years.

Are they truly genuine or are is it all just an act? I say they are genuine, down-to-earth people who mean what they say and say what they mean. Those of you who think it's just an act or that the CNS's story IN HIS OWN WORDS is just "fluff" are probably wrong.

Read the book. The book is not fluff. The whole book is almost nothing but CNS in his own words telling it like it was back after we won the SEC and Sugar Bowl in 2001. CNS is as steady as a rock. NOBODY can put on an act like that.

West Virginia University is where CNS wanted to attend college, but Kent State offered him a ship. CNS and all of his family and neighbors grew up cheering for the Pittsburgh Steelers. The notion that he has always wanted to be HC at Ohio State or for the Cleveland Browns has no basis in fact whatsoever.

Again, folks, I say: Cowboy UP with any evidence that contradicts what CNS says IN HIS OWN WORDS in books, interviews and other direct sources.

A lot of sportswriters would have you believe that CNS is so competitive that he will always be yearning for a bigger paycheck and more prestige in the NFL. The straight facts and hard evidence demonstrate something else.

All that rumor and innuendo that CNS was close to bolting for the Bears is just bullcrap. There is NOT ONE shred of evidence that CNS's intended anything more than to talk a little ball and be cordial to his old buddy from their Syracuse days.

Your agent will always insist that you listen to people who want to talk to you. If you won't listen to people who want to talk to you about new employment opportunities, then what the hell do you need an agent for?

So I ask again: Who has read the book Tiger Turnaround, that was written after we beat Illinois in the Sugar Bowl?

:geaux:

:lsug:

7. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I"ve read parts of it. I haven't read the whole thing in one sitting, but I really don't want to.

I'm not saying Nick is lying, but that book gave us what he wanted us to hear. I mean he's not going to say, "well, I took the LSU job because I was almost fired at MSU after my fourth year since we went 6-6 and lost three bowl games the year before."

"Or, I remember when one of my mentors George Perles at MSU back in 1988 almost took the Green Bay Packer job and he used that to get a ten year contract and set himself up real nice. I always thought that was the way to do things."

He's good coach and good guy, but he really dragged out the Chicago Bears situation. Nothing wrong with listening, but taking to Angelo was inconsistent with what he was saying this season. Nothing wrong with that, but let's look at things at face value.

8. Jean Lafitte

What part?

What things did CNS say in his book that you claim were just propaganda, i.e. "just what he wanted us to hear?"

I don't see anyway that you can make that statement and still maintain that CNS was honest in his book. So which is it? Did CNS tell the truth in his book, or did he make stuff up because it's "just what he wanted us to hear?"

As to your other weird quotes, well, Hell's Bell's you wrote those yourself! This is your own speculation here, and that's what sportswriters and too many LSU fans are doing. They are writing "CNS is thinking this" when they have ZERO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT SUCH SPECULATION!

I disagree that he "dragged out the Chicago Bears situation." Dangelo and CNS are close friends and CNS had him over for dinner and to talk ball. CNS knew that he might get a job offer, but that's no reason to refuse to even speak to people and get a reputation of being rude.

CNS must maintain good relations with NFL owners and GMs. He relies on them for information that is valuable. LSU recruits know that CNS is THE COLLEGE COACH with the best connections to the NFL, and this is attractive to high school football blue chippers whose goal in life is to play in the NFL.

The best high school football players in the USA would be very wise to make an official visit to LSU and seriously consider going to college at LSU. Why? Because, if they would like to play in the NFL, CNS will develop their talent like no other coach. CNS will maximize the potential of each player and the team as a whole.

It should be very clear to everybody who follows college and NFL football that NFL owners and GMs consider CNS as THE MOST TALENTED coach in the country, bar none. Why? What other coach, pro or college, has been approached more often when an NFL team wants a new HC?

You can speculate all you want to and say that CNS is lying when CNS states that he or his agent is not constantly shopping the CNS name around to these NFL big-wigs when HC jobs open up. I choose to believe what CNS has steadily maintained for years in his own words: he does not have his name shopped around, he does not approach NFL executives looking for interviews.

THE NFL PEOPLE ARE KNOCKING CNS'S DOOR DOWN BEGGING HIM TO COACH THEIR TEAMS BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT CNS IS THE BEST DAMN COACH IN THE COUNTRY, BAR NONE, IN BOTH COLLEGE AND PRO RANKS.

Now why the heck can't you people get that through your skulls?

I say that we have a better than even chance that CNS will coach at LSU until age 60 and then retire to a well-earned life of leisure and a spot in the LSU Hall of Fame as the best coach ever.

I'm not just blowing smoke or pumping sunshine! I've got more to back up my opinion than have you, Ralph Wiggum, and the other cynics who think like him.

:geaux: :geaux: :geaux:

9. Jean Lafitte

Pure speculation, Mr. Carville.

Your opinion and what you believe are PURE SPECULATION, Carville. The details of the contract with LSU are being finalized. It's a process that takes time. You take this event and spin a wild story about CNS enticing the Bears to offer him a job.

Puh-leeze! You sound like a high school girl gossiping about who has a crush on whom.

Translation of Carville's wild speculation in high school girl talk:
    "Oh, Dear! Nicky was mad at LSU before the Sugar Bowl, so Nicky went to talk to the Bears about breaking up with LSU and going out with the Bears, but then LSU got jealous and asked Nicky to come back so Nicky tricked LSU into giving him what he wanted and now Nicky and LSU are going out again but it won't last because you know Nicky is always winking at all the other NFL teams!!"

10. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Re: The book: Tiger Turnaround.

Jean, it is REAL easy to explain, MOST people are motivated by GREED and they simply can't imagine some one who isn't. In their minds it would be stupid for CNS to turn down a very lucrative offer. To them it's inevitable. Just read some of the posts. Most have the words "sooner or later" "when the time comes" , they are re-signed to CNS leaving BECAUSE the basic human instinct GREEd lives withon every man's soul and it is un heard of to be"happy" at the level you are at if you can double your pay or win a super bowl ring.

Folk's it's all BS a person can be happy with where they are and what they are doing. One key to happiness is learning this:
    My Sucess is not measured or judged by outside expectations, it is measured from within one's soul.

You won't ever convince them Jean, I'd give up if I were you.

If Momma ain't happy then Nobody's happy. LOL
    Alot may have to do with his wife and where she is happy.
    Money can't buy everything.