anybody believe this?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, Dec 16, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

this is the latest off the dolphins chat room......

"My fellow alumnus down in Baton Rouge told me that in Nick's press conference today at 5:30, it was mentioned that Miami has offered Nick Saban a 5 year contract worth $6.5 million per season as well as total control over the football operations. He says that Nick basically used the past tense when talking about LSU, as if he is ready to make the jump.

$6.5 million per season and total control sure can do a lot of convincing."

2. BB

BB Founding Member

I guess I can believe anything at this point. I heard he will be given his own shoe and a soft drink endorsement to go along with his own Coach Saban Video Game.

Bottom line, a wonderful opportunity has punched him in the face and is dragging him away from us. Keep your fingers crossed, but it doesn't look good regardless of the terms of the deal.

3. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

That's too high.

Bill Parcells is (I think) the highest-paid coach at the moment and he's pulling down on average $4.25 a year. I promise the figure is over $4 a year, something LSU and/or TAF can't and shouldn't even try to match.

4. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The WAFB Channel 9 reporter at the press conference during their 6:00pm news yesterday was reporting that sources indicated the offer was in the 6 to 6.5 mill range.

5. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

An unproven NFL coach to get 6-6.5 mill :confused: :confused:

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Damn that George Foreman , why did he have to come up with that grill ! It will surely turn Nick toward the phins.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

This link has a video clip of WAFB's coverage. Watch it, it is pretty informative. Especially for those of you no longer in the BR area.

> WAFB Coverage <

8. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I don't know specifics reguarding coach salaries, but I would think, no matter how good a coach one is, you don't automatically jump from successful college coach to 1st-time-NFL-head-coach and be the highest paid NFL coach without proving you can win in the NFL first.

Head coaching life in the NFL is pretty much just as short a stent with one team as the players stent with one team. There's so much pressure to win a Super Bowl, that even a team that goes to the playoffs in successive seasons isn't guaranteed to keep their coach (Dungy anyone?? and that may even be a bad example because he was with TB for a while).

The one aspect of Saban that always worried me was his track record for longevity in one place. Saban has never spent more than 4 years in the same place before moving on. Perhaps it's the nature of the business making him that way--knowing all too well that team can let you go at a moments notice. ....bet he NEVER figured to be in a situation like he is now, where a school, it's fans, it's alumni, it's boosters and it's students are willing to give him everything they possibly can to keep him. We're doing everything but selling body organs on ebay!

9. ScoobaTiger

ScoobaTiger Founding Member

This is the best post yet...I like the reference to the grill.

:lsug: :champs: :lsug:

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Man, I don't know (scratching head)...that Foreman grill is gonna be tough to match.