anybody else rooting for Jefferson?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Blue TurboDog

Blue TurboDog GeauxTigersGo

Nothing against ZM or JL but I really hope Jefferson can get the job done and end his much maligned career on a high note. For the first time he has a good QB coach and OC who will put him in position to be successful. Just curious if I am in the minority.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I'm not half as excited about the QB thing as I am about or RB's!!!!

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I'm certainly not rooting against him. I just want the best guy out there, whoever it is. If Jefferson turns out to be our best option, I'll be ok with it. I'm rooting for all of them to be better and compete.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I'm pulling for JJ. The kid is a senior and he has been through hell. Plus I know for a fact that unless he is hurt, he will start, so why not pull for your starting quarterback? But like MobileBengal said, I want there to be a tough competition for the job. The more Jefferson is pushed the the better he will play.

5. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Why root against a great Tiger. Just want the best man on the field come game day. Whoever that may be.

6. LSUFan1950

LSUFan1950 Founding Member

We are all rooting for Jefferson, having two good QBs just makes the team better. Jefferson is better with his feet, where Mettenberger has a great arm. Let Mettenberger be the starter and bring in Jefferson to run the Wild Tiger, but run the Wild Tiger more than in the past. The way Jefferson played against Texas A & M, other teams has to respect his arm as well. That means on short yardage the other teams can't load up the box to stop the run. If they do, let Jefferson check out of the run and throw the football. I think we all want Jefferson to run the Wild Tiger than Russell Sheppard, because Jefferson is a better passer.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I'm rooting for all three. I hope they all make massive improvement and are all ready to be SEC caliber starters by the time the season begins. I hope Miles starts the one that gives us the best chance to win no matter which one that is.

8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Guys, have we learned nothing from the Chick-Fil-A Bowl? A single performance in a bowl game with a month of preparation is not an indication of how he'll do during the weekly grind. Beyond Crowton's abysmal coaching, Jefferson's decision-making remains suspect. Honestly, I don't know how much of that he can develop in a single-offseason after showing only modest improvement the past 3 years.

He may look great in practice, but I still worry a lot about the mental aspect during game time. That's not the same as saying Mett will necessarily be better in that department, and Jefferon's SEC experience gives him a significant edge. So the short answer is I would love for Jefferson to succeed, he's a Tiger and he's taken more than his fair share of lumps. I just don't think he will end up being the better option.

9. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I'm certainly not routing against him. However, I see JJ as a know commodity at this point. So if the best players starts, and its Jefferson, that leads me to believe that our QB play will be about the same as last year and that ZM has not lived up to the hype.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I see it the opposite way. If JJ starts, then that means that he has improved leaps and bounds, which I really don't think is out of the question. We've seen that he can be very, very good at times. However, I think that he's been a victim of Crowton's very confusing and unidentifiable offensive "system" for his entire collegiate career. He was one of the top 10 pro-style QBs coming out of high school, and he finally has a QB coach that runs that kind of system.

I, for one, would not be entirely surprised to see a different Jefferson. Certainly, my ideal scenario would be for him to beat out ZM and win the job fair-and-square. However, if he's not on Zach's level come fall, keep him on the sidelines. The coaching staff just needs to realize that JJ is very streaky, for better or worse.

1 person likes this.