anybody else rooting for Jefferson?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Blue TurboDog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Let me get Doc Brown on the phone. :D

2. russnrvr

russnrvr Founding Member

I have personally seen enough of Jefferson. It cannot be all of Gary Crowton's fault. He was not on the field. Jefferson has proven to falter in big games. Can you honestly say that you believe that he can win the SEC title game and a National Championship game? Not maybe, but really believe that. I can't. 1) Mechanics have never improved. 2) Decision-making on the field is suspect 3) Attitude has stunk (thrown coaches and fellow players under the bus in the past..) He would need to have a 200yd per game average to be a National Contender QB. (see Cam Newton and Darron Thomas stats). I personally don't think he is capable of that. Now if he is the best we have, so be it.. But.. I doubt that will be the case.

3. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I think everyone agrees that we would like the see the QB under center this season who gives us the best chance for success. Right?

We fairly easily could have played for the BCS championship game last season with a QB who passed for 15-20 TDs and had a 65% completion percentage. We will obviously be fielding another VERY GOOD team this year. In fact, even with the loss of PP7/Nevis/Sheppard, we may actually turn out to be a better team this year than last.

From the snippets coming out of spring ball, apparently Mett has a cannon for an arm and the WR's are having trouble keeping it in their hands. He's had some minor accuracy issues, but overall seems to look very good, with great footwork, poise, and technique. Whether we see him this year or next, I think he's going to be one of the best QB's in the SEC and we're very lucky to have him. Our offense should improve this year, but I can't wait to see our QB/WR production the next 2 years with Mett throwing to Randle/Shepard/Landry/Avery Johnson/ODB/Fobbs/etc.

I have heard from several sources, however, that Jefferson actually looks great. He's in great shape, his footwork looks good, his throwing motion has been shortened and improved ( impressive actually, watch videos from 3/15 ), his arm strength and accuracy has been good, and he seems to be in sync with his receivers.

Now, I can't say that I haven't been very disappointed in JJ on several occasions. My biggest issue was with his whiny attitude and bitching at other players for his pathetic play. That is the one thing, more than anything else, that I pray improves if JJ starts this season. Last season, in the rare instances when Lee came in, you could see the offense perk up. Lee may not have been a starter, but the offense saw him as a leader and responded when he came in.

Maybe the Cotton Bowl, as well as being a senior, has instilled that much needed confidence, rapport with his Offense, and much needed leadership charisma that has been so lacking in previous years. He needs to truly LEAD this offense. Lead by example. Don't get flustered and absolutely don't ever give up. Don't make bitchy little faces when you, or someone else, makes a mistake. Don't berate other players when they screw up. Positive motivation goes so much further than negative. Support your teammates emotionally, pump them up, and make them know that as a group, you are good enough to succeed on every single play. Every player makes mistakes, but teams with good leaders and who believe in themselves are the ones who come back with huge gains on the very next play.

I believe that Jefferson will start, and as much as I would like to see Mett, I would rather JJ be so damn good that we never need to get to chance see Mett till mop up duty, or next season.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

But is he smart? I'm ready for a quarterback who can pick up a complex offense quickly, recognize defenses, read the blitz and hit the open receiver better than 65% of the time. We need some mental agility at quarterback, not just arms and legs.

If he's one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC, then he will be the starting quarterback for LSU.

Jefferson has always looked great in practice. But he underperforms in games. We have two seasons of evidence.

Lee has always looked good but has underperformed as well.

I believe Mettenberger starts in August or we wasted a scholarship. #1 Junior college quarterbacks expect to start and are expected to start.

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I sure hope not

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Mett came to LSU fully aware that he may not start right out of the gate and would still have 2 years to take the starting spot. If he was a 2 year Juco player I don't think he would have signed to play here.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

If one of them ends up being able to hit the broad side of a barn in the spring game for a change, I'll consider it progress.

8. jdkees

jdkees Veteran Member

speaking of the spring game, how much time will Mettenberger see? will it be Lee and Jefferson mainly running each team?

I wouldn't think so. But Miles has done more frustrating things with players in the past. It took Ford about 5 or 6 games before he even got a carry.

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Last season we averaged 23.5 passing attempts per game, and 13.6 completions. I'd have left the decimals off but considering our lack of production I thought them to be significant.

I'd like to see us attempting 30 on average in 2011, and completing 18-20.. I don't think that's a lot to ask of a premier team in the SEC. I don't know, maybe I'm just greedy.

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Translation: JJ starts. Let's hope all this talk about JJ looking great carries over to actual games. I am certainly rooting for whoever is LSUs starting QB.