Anybody Have a PC Stick?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I had never heard of a PC Stick but it's a device a little bigger than a thumb drive that you can insert into an hdmi port on a TV or monitor and turn it into a computer. PC Sticks come loaded with Win 8.1 and are upgradeable to Win 10. There is also a Linux model. Costs between $100 and $150 and have up to 2 gig ram and 32 gig storage.

What I want to know is would one work on an android tablet? I would buy one if they do. Seems pretty handy to not have to carry a laptop around but not so much if you have to have a TV or monitor available wherever you want to use it.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

One more question. Do they come with built in wifi? No problem to use it with a tablet but if you want to use it with a TV not connected to the internet it wouldn't work without it.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You get what you pay for.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Did you giggle like a little girl and pat yourself on the back for your devilishly clever snide remark?

I have 2 windows laptops. I don't take one with me everywhere I go but I do keep my small android tablet in my truck all the time. It's more easily concealable. About the size of a book and in it's case almost looks like a book.
    Sometimes I would like to run Windows when I don't have a laptop. I don't know anything about Microsoft Surface Pro tablets whether they run a full Windows version or not but either way I'm not going to buy one. But I would buy a PC stick if it would make an Android device run Windows

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

My boss has the surface and he seems to like it, hell he is always on it. Neat looking little tablet.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

like i said, you get what you pay for. if you buy apple you wouldnt need all that shit.

(typing in my best red voice)

microsoft still hasnt created anything worth buying outside of an xbox. and thats debatable.

thats my voice.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They also make a Linux PC stick. I don't know which version of Linux. I used to use Red Hat for some stuff.

8. red55

I was just trying to help a dumb ass out. Waste of time, of course.

Lash them together with duct tape and they made a passable boat anchor.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Apple snob!

I asked a question. If you don't know the answer just say so. There is nothing wrong with my Windows laptops. If I had a Mac laptop I still wouldn't carry it with me everywhere I went. Only when I planned to use it. I have a truck. No trunk. Some software programs don't work on android. Would work with Apple but probably not with an iPad.

10. red55

A $120 computer stick is not much more than a smartphone without a keyboard, a battery or a display. Low-RAM, low-storage space and essentially tablet-grade performance. It houses a lightweight processor that's usually found in Intel-based tablets, so don't expect to do any heavy image editing or serious number-crunching.

They are good for HD streaming on a hotel TV and a cheap way to cram a Windows PC into a tight space, but there's only so much you can expect out of tablet hardware. Plugging one into a tablet really won't gain you much that ain't already there. Windows laptops like the HP Stream are so cheap ($180) and small (tablet-size) that they make more sense than humping a PC stick onto an android device.

You get what you pay for . . . to put it more succinctly.