Anybody Watching The Country Documentary By Ken Burns

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CalcoTiger, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have a $38 antenna I bought to watch over the air stuff but it won't work.

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

CBS is notoriously hard to get but you should pick up PBS, in fact multiple PBS stations, easy.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@CalcoTiger I'm through part 5 and yes it is very good. @CajunlostinCali you would dig it, I think it ends right before all this new bullshit hits the scene because that stuff sucks.

CalcoTiger likes this.
  4. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

My wife has recorded the series.

It starts at the very beginning and takes you to George Straight and Hank Jr at least that is where were up to in series,

My dad used to deliver Hank Williams Newspaper when he was The MC at the Louisiana Hayride, I was born in same hospital as Hank Jr. Their are a couple of the old performers from the Hayride that are buried in Hilcrest Cemetery out by the Horse Track where my family's plot is. I don't know if they still do it but they used to keep a Carnation Guitar over one of the singers. grave.

I once saw a documentary about why Elvis movies of his life never mentioned the Louisiana Hayrife name because the Grand Old Opry kept coming and taking the entertainers from the Hayride so they started putting it in their contracts that they couldn't use the La. Hayride name.

Johnny Cash, George Jones , Elvis, Jerry Lee, Dolly , Hank Williams , So many famous performers worked there.

If you ever get to Shreveport it is well worth your time to tour the Old Building where the Hayrife was. It is called the Municipal Auditorium and is Dedicated To the men that fought in the World War. It was built before the second world war was fought.

They play you the recording of Elvis Last Performance there. And they have his contract on the wall of his dressing room.When I was growing up they used to have the WWE wrestling matches there on Saturday Mornings. We took my Mother in Law there who was a huge Elvis fan and she had to sit on the toilet in Elvis Dressing room. it was embarrassing but she went back to her home in Lincoln California and told everyone she sat on the same toilet as Elvis.

shane0911 likes this.