Anyone getting ready...

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by GregLSU, Jan 19, 2014.

1. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Because he sucks as a fisherman apparently, so this yo yo thing automatically reels in the fish for you? Is it something you set out and when a fish bites it, it reels it in? I ask this because in @lsutiga post the picture shows "auto fisher". Just curious, y'alls outdoor gadgets fascinate me.

2. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Basically it's a thin metal reel preloaded with string and a swivel. Great for docks, low hanging tree branches, etc. You put your hook on the swivel clip, then preset the depth of the line, bait hook and then drop it in the water... When the fish hits the bait, the bail releases and it automatically hooks the fish and reels it up.

I used to use these for big cats and white perch around dock corners...

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It "reels" it, technically. The bigger they are the less they reel it in terms of it being out of the water.

How high you hang it from the water also affects that. The spring is coiled more as you get higher.

The youtube I found shows them catching catfish. The way I set them I catch few catfish and target white perch.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  4. tigerchick46

I knew I could count on you....

5. LSUTiga

ha!

I'm sure your manz has knowledge of these. Seriously. As much of an outdoorsman he seems to be, he must have used them before.

I'm anxious to hear, let me know. Course, there are many who hate these things. Those "Real" sportsman. In their defense, I've seen idiots using yo yo's and leave fish hung out to dry, literally. They also erroneously believe you can fish 'em out. They are used primarily for white perch and you can't over fish white perch. In fact the tend to take over bodies of water.

I fish a local State Park and they recently went from allowing 24 of them per boat to 50 per boat. I suspect LDWF went in to do an assesment and shocked some fish only to find a high concentration of white perch. I haven't spoken to a local game warden I know but I plan to ask him if.

I also read on La Sportsman that they are lifting "slots" (size limits) on the bass. At this one you could only keep bass tween 14 inches and 17 inches. Anything under 14 inches, or over 17 inches, you have to let go. Those numbers work for you? haha J/K

6. tigerchick46

He's not much of a fisherman.....and I'm sure every inch is like a mile to you ;)

7. LSUTiga

Size is of no concern with me. If they want 10 I just put it in 3 times.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  8. tigerchick46

That actually made me laugh out loud, hilarious......

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

So... back to the Bass discussion.

Anyone catching any? Thanks to the pretty rough winter here in NWLA the spawn got pushed pretty far back. I've been beating up some decent bass the last few weeks, nothing monsterous but decent 2-5 pounders. If I can find a way to post some pics i'll get them up. Chatterbaits, lipless cranks, squarebills, and jigs were killing them, but now my kind of fishing is starting to warm up really nice... Frogs and other topwater baits are heating up.

I'm fighting a bout with pneumonia at the moment, but by the weekend my i'll have a full box of Z pak in me and feeling a lot better so i'll be out this weekend.

gyver likes this.
  10. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Went out Saturday with my son and future son-in-law. Landed a 5. 2 4lbrs. 2 3lbs. And a 2 1/2 lb bass

GregLSU likes this.