Anyone Here Ever Had Charcot Arthropathy?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CalcoTiger, Aug 23, 2018.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I was just wondering if anyone here ever had Charcot in their foot and how did it turn out?

I have it from diabetes but their are many ways it happens.

I was working long hours and my foot got swollen and too much blood caused pressure on my foot and it cracked . In a cast for 10 weeks.

watson1880 likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Hey Calco! Good to see you post although sorry to hear about your foot. I have never even heard of what you have. 10 weeks? Soft or hard cast?

CalcoTiger likes this.
  3. CalcoTiger

hard cast and its my right foot so I cant drive. My wife is leaving me chores to do in the morning. I have to get better so I can work less!!!

shane0911, Bengal B and GiantDuckFan like this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Well that sucks. Losing that driving independence must be brutal. I hope your recovery goes well and you are back in business quickly.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. xlnsports

xlnsports Cajun In Exile

I have done allot of crow boots to heal Charcot.Just make sure after surgery get some good diabetic shoes and INSERTS. Inserts are the key to keep a even strike on feet when you are walking. If you have lots of neuropathy to go with it check your feet daily.
    Good luck my friend.

kcal and GiantDuckFan like this.
  6. CalcoTiger

I do have neuropathy and have ordered diabetic work and diabetic steel toes I am in walking boot now because foot is still swollen .
    I am on my feet at work a lot so I am going to have to watch out.
    With my arch collapsing my right foot is 1/2 size longer than left.

Dr said if I get any sore treat immediately cause if gets infected I could lose foot.

If any of you have diabetes please take care of yourselves. I have been for a long time and looking back I should have done better.
    Cant drink and have to watch everything I eat. No salt do to high blood pressure. High Triglycerides and cholesterol. Two insulin shots a day and have to take it everywhere I go with blood testing. None of you want this so please learn from me.and make sure to get it early.

If you find yourself starting to get up during the night constantly to pee and I also started getting bad charley horses in calfs and thighs. Tired and lethargic all the time.

Go to doctor immediately.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

If interested.

[​IMG]
    Hypertension
    High blood pressure: Sodium may not be the culprit

A new look at sodium and blood pressure

Moore and her team took data from 2,632 men and women aged between 30 and 64 years, who were part of the Framingham Offspring Study - an offshoot of the Framingham Heart Study. All participants had normal blood pressure at the start of the trial.

Over the 16-year follow-up period, the researchers observed that the participants who consumed under 2,500 milligrams of sodium each day had higher blood pressure than those who consumed higher quantities of sodium.

The results seem counterintuitive. As the authors write: "While we expected dietary sodium intake to be positively associated with both SBP [systolic blood pressure] and DBP [diastolic blood pressure], the opposite was found."

Although the findings appear to kick against the status quo, they are in line with other recent studies asking similar questions. Research has shown that there is a "J-shaped relationship" between cardiovascular risk and sodium. This means that low-sodium diets and very high-sodium diets both carry a higher risk of heart disease.

Many people in the United States sit in the middle of this curve, where the cardiovascular risk is at its lowest.

"We saw no evidence that a diet lower in sodium had any long-term beneficial effects on blood pressure. Our findings add to growing evidence that current recommendations for sodium intake may be misguided."

Lynn L. Moore

Potassium as important as sodium
    The importance of dietary potassium is also underlined in this study. The team found that individuals with the lowest blood pressure were those who had the highest intake of sodium and potassium. Conversely, those with the highest blood pressure had the lowest intake of sodium and potassium.

Moore says: "This study and others point to the importance of higher potassium intakes, in particular, on blood pressure and probably cardiovascular outcomes as well."

Similar effects were also seen when magnesium and calcium intakes were analysed; higher levels were linked to lower blood pressure, and vice versa.

The authors conclude that:

"These long-term data from the Framingham Study provide no support for lowering sodium intakes among healthy adults to below 2.3 grams per day as recommended. This study does support the finding of a clear inverse association between potassium, magnesium, and calcium and blood pressure change over time."

Moore wants her study to play a part in shifting dietary decisions throughout the U.S. She says: "I hope that this research will help refocus the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans on the importance of increasing intakes of foods rich in potassium, calcium, and magnesium for the purpose of maintaining a healthy blood pressure."

Moore also makes it clear that there may be certain people who are particularly sensitive to sodium and who might, therefore, benefit from reducing salt in their diet. Perhaps in the future, methods of screening for salt sensitivity might help to establish which individuals need to be more careful.

As more studies conclude that sodium's role in hypertension is less vital than once thought, dietary recommendations are sure to change in line with the findings. This changing field of nutrition science is one to watch.

Learn why potassium is as important as sodium for healthy blood pressure.

Written by: Tim Newman

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099.php

CalcoTiger likes this.
  8. CalcoTiger

I have been asked to reduce sodium a lot because I put salt on everything. You get a good amount of sodium in your diet usually anyway in meats and processed items. The body uses sodium and potassium to control body temperature and blood pressure and many other things. From working with chemicals a lot in my job you see these type chemicals such as sodium benzoate are used as preservatives.
    Me and my wife loved can soup and toasted cheese sandwich night. We looked at the canned soups and they have a tremendous amount of salts.
    Rather than my sugar I was instructed to look at carbohydrates of items because they deem that as more critical as it turns to sugar anyway.
    I have dropped my A1C from what was over 12 to last check 6.7 but unfortunately it was a little too late for some of the complications to start.

9. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

As with all research, nothing is concrete.

30% of people are what is termed “salt sensitive”. It’s an easy enough test, .... consume 2400mg or less of salt for a week, check blood pressure .... then consume about 2-3 times that much. If your BP goes up, and stays up for a couple of days, you r salt sensitive. If not, then you r not.

I unfortunately, am salt sensitive. If you r salt sensitive and have high BP, need to talk to your doc about the meds you r on. A recent study reported that CaCH blockers plus diuretic is superior to ACE and ARB drugs. This is consistent with my experience. I’ve been on ACE ARB drugs for 10 years, and frankly, they never did squat for my BP. A low carb diet was required for them to work, LCD being a natural diuretic. Back in April after a stint of high sodium intake, BP got up to 175/115 ..... I cut the Sodium to below 2000/day, upped potassium, ... bam, BP dropped to 100/65. .... had to get off the ACE because of hypotension. Been managing BP with diet ever since.

Just need to know yourself and how u respond to crap.

CalcoTiger likes this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Just trying to break a lot of long standing misinformation in a lot of cases.

GiantDuckFan likes this.