Anyone pay attention to Peterson?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vshouse, Jan 10, 2011.

1. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Let me start by saying I love Patrick Peterson and thinks he's a great athlete, but was it just me or did he get schooled most of the night by fuller? The aggies were certainlly not scared to go after him, and they had alot of success throwing his way. Personally...(and this may be just wishfull thinking) but I think Peterson would benefit from comming back another year, I think his stock has fallen a bit.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Any QB/WR combo would have a field day with absolutely no pass rush. Most draft boards I see have him in the top 5 picks. Without a pass rush no DB will have success. LSU's pass rush was horrible even when blitzing. Man coverage + blitz + no pressure on the QB = a whole lot of completions.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That would be a negative.

He is top 5 and most likely top 3.

The Cowboys organization think he is a better kick returner than Dez Bryant.

When you combine both those incredible skills, he's a sure fire bet for the top 5.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

To be honest, without his special teams play this season. I thought PP7 underachieved at corner. He rarely helped out in run support, teams use his aggressiveness at the corner against him, and he doesn't jam receivers all that well.

He has great speed, and can close well, and has great ball skills. He is going to be a good pro, but he still has alot of work to do.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Sometimes the other side makes a play and nothing can be done to stop it. That isn't being schooled.Take another look. In the first half there were a couple of completeions where Tannehill hit Fuller with perfect passes on out routes. PP was on him but due to precision pass PP had no chance. There was also at least one completion where they were in zone and PP was off the receiver. They tried to get PP to bite on double move with no luck.
    Fuller is a pretty good receiver and Tannehil was on. They obviously realized there wasn't much to be had off of PP so they went to the other side the second half.

1 person likes this.
  6. Pintoracer

Pintoracer Somewhere in The Matrix

I believe Fuller was getting away with some push offs as well. PP had a good game, not a great one. I'll miss him when he is gone. That's for sure!

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

There was one for sure.

8. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Tough crowd. What did the guy give up this year, like one touchdown? I saw him have trouble jamming two guys...Fuller and Whoolio...both bigger than him, but likely not stronger as PP is a freak. This may indicate a technique problem, but with all his talent, very fixable...and easily fixed. He's too strong not to jam well. I saw two guys have decent games against him this year...Fuller and Whoolio, and did you see the throws the QBs made? GMac and Tannehill did what they were supposed to do by placing the ball where only there guy could get to it. Might result in some good catches by two very good receivers, but no big plays...and one TD. One. This is a bad MF'er, and whoever gets him (likely Denver) is poised to change the way they play defense. He's ready now to lock down one side of the field opening up for more aggressive pass-rushing. Don't let overuse of the zone by LSU D fool you into thinking he ain't "That Dude." Everyone knows it except LSU fans...but maybe it's because we want him to come back. LOL

Teams schemed around him. Not Drake. Not Sheppard. Him. They know he's great in run support, so they run away from him or run him out of the play so if he's in on the tackle, its after a big gain. They know he's great in coverage, so they didn't throw his way unless the QB was comfortable making a perfect throw (see GMac and Tannehill). This guy has no true flaws. If he somehow slips past #3, expect the Cowboys to trade up to take him.

9. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

I would love it if Peterson came back for aother year but don't think it is wise for him personally. And if he goes pro, I definitely want a star on his helmet!

But I don't think he was quite as dominant on defense this year as he was last year. He just seemed to have a lot more passes completed to the receiver he was covering. Maybe it was teams scheming against him. And I did see the TAM player push him off at least once. Still think he is great but thought he was better last year.

1 person likes this.
  10. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

PP7's draft status will not be based on the Texas A&M game. It's based on what he's done in the past 3 years. He will almost certainly be a top-5 pick, and possibly within the top-3. You can't do much better than that. Peterson is leaving at exactly the right time and I wish him the best, though I wish he would stay, too.