Anyone see the RB screen that Rutgers just ran?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jester, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Jester

Jester Founding Member

It was just a quick little RB screen in the middle of the field. If we ran that screen with Ford or Shepard in the slot, just a little arc release around the DE and our QB's could make that little 5 yrd delicate loft, the play would consistently go for huge yardage.

Wish we ran more screens like back in 2007.

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Depends on the opponent, situation, and all that. We could see some tomorrow, who knows?

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

We wouldn't want to make it hard on the opposing teams LB's. Better to let them stack the box and play the run 100% of the time so they don't get confused and give up big plays.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I missed it. Turned that stinker of a game off to go watch Pitt/WVU. Thinking about turning this game off too, because the thought of Pitt winning and going to a friggin' BCS bowl game is ridonkulus.

5. Jester

Jester Founding Member

Yeah, I've already switched to the WVU/Pitt game. I figure WVU will win.......which continues to help us. This play happened back when the Louisville, Rutgers score was only 14-0.

WVU needs to win this one. I know the Big East sucks, but it still doesn't hurt to be able to say you beat a conference champ/BCS bowl pick.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Its just my opinion, but with the speed, lack of passing efficiency and QB production, and with our stable of RB's and WR's, instead of the damn option, which even with some significant improvements is still looking to be only a 20%-25% play, that we would throw in 4-5 of the following:

a counter / inside shovel pass ( fake the off-tackle left, pull up and take a 3-4 step drop, shovel pass inside and then around the right side )

a bubble screen to Shepard or Toliver

Middle RB screen

a slot release screen

a jailbreak screen with multiple blockers

These are plays that our QB's should have been able to perform, even when they were having difficulties, and they are they type of plays that get the ball into playmaker's hands and give them an opportunity to make things happen.

When the D is stacking 10 guys in the box, blitzing and daring you to throw, and your QB can't hit the broad side of a barn past 10 yards, these are the type of plays that go big and also build confidence in your QB, RB, and WR's.

Just my opinion. I'm no Genius Offensive Guru i.e. Gary Crowton.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

We've attempted several of these plays. Mostly to Russel Shepard or Richard Murphy. Marginal results.

A few times, JJ has sailed the pass and thrown off the timing, a few other times, the D just snuffed out the play.

Screens are a feast or famine play. If timed right, they can break for huge gains. When the defense calls the right play against it though, they can be disastrous.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Exactly, it also takes very good down field blocking from the receivers, something that hasn't been a strong suit of our boys.

8. TwistedTiger

Bubble screens maybe, but LSU hasn't attempted a true screen with OL out front in the flats or middle all season. They also don't throw to the backs in the flats or the middle, just that same old bubble screen that they throw to the WR's.

9. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Um, yes they do. They've done it several times this year.

10. TwistedTiger

Several times this year you're saying? That's once every other game so I can see how most wouldn't recall it. I certainly don't and lean towards it just didn't happen.