Anyone see this? (Bass Article)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TD TIGER, Mar 3, 2005.

1. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

2. FortWorthTiger

FortWorthTiger Founding Member

Brandon Bass is an exemplary student-athlete.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

After reading something like that you can really understand these kids leaving college early to go pro. With 7 cousins/brothers & sisters to help feed, it makes sense.

4. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

He does have a lot of family that he could help out by going to the pros. I believe that is one of the reasons why Trev Faulk left. I would completely understand if he decided to go pro next year. However, I think getting that degree will help him out more in the long run.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

A couple million racked up in the bank and he can come back to college later. I can't blame the kid. You only get so long to be an athleted - you've got to do it while your body's able.

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I think this is a dubious assertion, at best. Just sitting on the interest of a big contract will net these guys more money than most jobs you can get just b/c you have a degree. And with any success in the league, the job opportunities open up much more than by having a piece of paper saying you know all about kinesiology and are thus qualified to teach middle school math and PE.

And absolutely they can go back to get the degree once their playing days or done, OR in the offseason.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It may help out his self esteem more when he's much older, but like others said, he can work on that degree after he is settled in the NBA like Shaq did.

8. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

How much more could he get with another strong season and LSU possibly contending for a national title? We could be talking about millions more.

9. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

So instead of 10 or 15 million he gets 20 or 25 million ? Big deal. Either way he never has to have a "real job" for the rest of his life.

10. marcnbc

marcnbc Founding Member

The NBA's sliding salary for rookie contracts is this. I looked it up last week & the #10 overall pick gets 1.5 million/1st year and a total of 4.8 million for their initial 3 year contract. The #25 pick gets 750K/1st year & a total of around 2.4 million for the 3 year deal. He is currently not even cracking the 1st round by the early mock drafts that I have seen. By coming back next year he could really increase his pay with a superb junior season. He got measured at 6'6 at the NBA camps last year & I'm not sure of his worth in the NBA as a 6'6 power forward. Just a hunch, but I say he's coming back.