anyone watch the fab 5 documentary?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I mean it was interesting for sure but I was thinking as i watched it if laettner or hurley was shown on your tv screen calling webber and jalen rose a bitch and a pussy what would have happened.

something tells me reaction would have been a bit different than the praise its receiving.

i ran across a jason whitlock article that reminded me of what i was thinking.

Whitlock: Fab Five film more fantasy than documentary - College Basketball News | FOX Sports on MSN

i wondered when they said duke only recruited nerdy white players and uncle toms what would happen if duke had a special with their players saying georgetown only recruited thug darkies from the hood with token wiggers.

but regardless, the fact remains duke beat them 4 straight times despite all the hype. michigan won zero conference or national championships during that time and was forced to forfeit all their games for taking payoffs due to webber.

michigan was fun to watch but in the end were just another second, third or fourth place team. who cares really.

the hypocrisy/double standard of espn and other media is in full effect and thats what stood out to most during the broadcast. because it would be the same media praising this documentary who would be calling for someone's head if tables were reversed.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wow, Whitlock came down hard on Rose and the Fab 5. Surprising, but kudos to him.

I watched it and agree with your commments. I didn't know Rose was the producer but after watching it, that doesn't surprise me.

3. tirk

i really enjoy listening to jalen rose. hes an intelligent guy but they are rewriting history in a sense.

i dont blame them for what they said or did. they were honest. you just know it would never have been aired if it was reversed. and all these idiot reporters would do a 180 on their commentary.

4. tirk

grant hill with another win responding to the fab 5. heres the end where he takes nice dig at them.

I caution my fabulous five friends to avoid stereotyping me and others they do not know in much the same way so many people stereotyped them back then for their appearance and swagger. I wish for you the restoration of the bond that made you friends, brothers and icons.

I am proud of my family. I am proud of my Duke championships and all my Duke teammates. And, I am proud I never lost a game against the Fab Five.

Grant Henry Hill
    Phoenix Suns
    Duke ‘94

much more here:

Grant Hill's Response to Jalen Rose - NYTimes.com

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

ouch....

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wow!! Powerful stuff. Preach on Grant.

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I wanted to watch it, but missed it. I knew it was going to be a Fab Five knob fest, but had no idea a person who I thought was a stand up guy in Jalen Rose would stoop to that level. Duke is not without criticism and I personally root against them, but I believe JR crossed the line with the 'Uncle Tom' and other disparaging remarks about the black players on that team. I'm just not sure why he decided to go there. As the executive producer, he had to have watched it hundreds of times before the final cut was put together and he had to know it would have negative repercussions, but he did it anyway.

As for Grant Hill, no one can ever question toughness or love for basketball, especially considering all of the devastating injuries and rehabs he suffered at the beginning of his career. He had his money and it would've been so easy and tempting to walk away, but his love of the game and his dream of playing in the NBA willed him through all of that.

I knew the Fab 5 never won a national championship, but I didn't know they never won a regular season conference or tourney championship either. They weren't any sort of champion, except maybe their bracket in the NCAA tourney.

They should do one of those 30 for 30 on the UNLV Runnin' Rebs back in the day. Now that would be awesome. It may even be on par with the one they did about The U.

8. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I was a freshman in HS during the Fab 5 and a big fan. I was anti-Duke but have definitely grown to respect their program. With all of the injuries Grant Hill has gone through and still playing a young man's game at his advanced age, I have ultra respect for him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Fab 5 documentary but also agree with parts of Whitlock's article. I also feel for CWebb as that moment could've happened to anyone and then his Kings teams get so close. Unfortunately, Kobe/Shaq and a bit of Horry luck created further bad "timing" for him.

9. tirk

he was simply saying how he felt then and was being honest. I applaud that.

I can only imagine the commentary on duke if they had lost those 4 games instead of won. Laettner would have been destroyed.

10. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I didn't see the show, but I know Elton Brand had problems with Duke.