Anyone worried that we could lose Justin Vincent to the NFL in the April Draft?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by max, Feb 7, 2004.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Champ Baily is special. I heard one of the ex NFL players state that cornerback was one of the easiest positions to play for a player straight to the NFL. His reasoning was that cornerbacks depend on one on one athletic ability. A cornerback is man on man with a receiver. Every other position depends on technique and learning the system.

2. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

If that happens, here come the lawsuits! This was mentioned on another thread. I agree with the poster in that thread...if this happens, clarrett and legal team is going to be screaming collusion.

Even though this ruling means that any 18-yr old football player becomes eligible for the draft. I don't see this affecting pro ball or college ball in any significant way.

edyel called it, professional football is much more physically demanding than any of the other major pro sports. We may see some high-schoolers get advised of their chances in the NFL draft, but 99.99% of that advise is gonna be "Play college ball first". ESPECIALLY recruits that get schollies. I don't see many of these kids passing up a free chance at an education and 4 years to develop.

In Clarett's case, he was (and still is) facing the loss of his collegiate eligibility for his off-the-field antics. Up against that, what are his football options? AFL, CFL? Possibly...but why not try the NFL first. Sure it was gonna take a lawsuit, but I really doubt he had trouble finding lawyers to take his case. Even if it doesn't pan out, he can still go back to school.

Don't get me wrong...I am not condoning his actions by any means. I completely disagree with this whole situation, but, thankfully, the fallout should be negligible.

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

To even worry about this is totally ridiculous. None of the players that you mentioned, are even good enough to enter the nfl at this time. Not to mention their stock would be so low if and only if(a HUGE if)they got drafted. Maurice has no business in the nfl right nfl right now. He wasn't even the best back in college, 2 seasons ago. But when guys like Maurice see the world through this.......$ $.........you can't talk much sense into them.

4. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Andrew Whitworth was already eligible to declare in the during the first period. He redshirted so he has already been in college for 3 years. So he already missed his chance to go if he wanted.

5. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

couldnt Whitworth have entered the draft this year anyway? he was a redshirt soph. right?...so that would be three years out of high school.

i dont understand how a judge can make the NFL change the rules. yes, Clarette is of a legal wage earning age, but can you force some corporation to hire someone?

you cant force IBM to hire somebody "just because they're 18"...so you shouldnt be able to force the NFL to essentially "hire" Clarette.

just like Clarette isnt qualified to work for IBM...he also isnt qualified to play in the NFL.

the NFL set very respectable rules...and every player, coach, fan knows them. the rules arnt very demanding....just go to college for a few years...then you can come.

i personally believe its the best for everyone...the NFL, the fans, and the player.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

NO ONE will declare early including Clarett. The problem is the NFL will be challenging this ruling. So what could possibly happen is a college player could declare and then the NFL win a ruling that reverses the judge's decision and then the college player would be ineligible to play in the NFL and also would not be able to play college ball as well.

That's why Clarett NEVER said he was declaring for the draft in his press conference. Because if he even stated it, that would have made him ineligible for returning to Ohio State this coming year.

Don't worry. This ruling will not have an effect until next year, if the NFL does not get it overturned, which is what I think will happen anyway.

7. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

clarett would not have a chance of winning that lawsuit. a guy who hasnt even played a whole season, has knee and shoulder problems and a criminal record, hasnt played in over a year, all before the age of 20. alot of good college players dont get drafted. trev faulk comes to mind. he played 3 good seasons with barley any injuries

if he sues and wins i will declare myself eligible for the draft and sue them when they dont take me.. i was ok in little league

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I read that the NFL likelly won't be able to get an appeal before the draft in April. So the players that declare this year will likely get drafted (would you pass on Mike Williams if he was available?) and play next season. Then if the decision is reversed the old system (or a new system) will be back in place and this year will be viewed as an anomaly.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

How sure are you that this is the case with the ruling MikeD?

10. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

I think it is stupid to go out early unless you are going to be a first rounder. There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, so it's all about the signing bonus for a new player, and the first rounders get good ones. You are better off staying in school and improving your draft stock than going in a middle or late round. The general belief is that it is easier for a running back to contribute his first year, but JV wouldn't be a first round pick this year. After next year, look out.