Anyone's gardens getting right?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 4, 2017.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Mine been producing pretty good. Been getting plenty beans and okra for a few weeks. Just pulled 177 ears of g90 off it today got that blanched and put up minus the 8 ears i had to sample and a few to do with some snapper tomorrow night. Some of the prettiest corn I've ever seen. Melons comin along good. Just did some jubilees they about 3/4 grown so far. Be ready for 4th of July or earlier. Bout half the corn from today....
    [​IMG]

2. jvalhenson

On the down side all this rain is wreaking havoc on the blueberries. Bushes are loaded and they were almost ready but they busting bad now. To much rain at worst possible time for them

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Can you explain the blanching? I know what blanching is but we just cut it and make maque choux then freeze.

My okra is just up a week.

4. jvalhenson

Boil it for 2-3 minutes. Dunk in ice bath. Let dry a minute and into the freezer. Purpose is to begin the cooking process but not cook fully(I prefer it just heated up but still "raw") to stop the sugar from turning to starch which happens fast with corn. Doesn't hurt it as far as spoiling if it does turn just not near as sweet as if you blanch it first. Cold water is to halt the cooking process immediately.

5. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

My blueberries didn't do shit this year. Neither did my plums. I think my plum tree is now barren

6. jvalhenson

I'm not knowledgeable on plums. My brother has some I'll ask him what his are doing they usually do well. Does it generally bear and does it have a pollinator or is it a self pollinator? Never have fooled with them

7. LSUTiga

So you shuck it then blanche?

And what do you mean about liking it heated up but raw? You mean "like" it to freeze or eat as in when you take it out?

8. jvalhenson

Yea

9. LSUTiga

oh ok. I stick some straight in the freezer (still with shucks) to throw on bar b que pit later. First time I ever ate it like that was at a National Tourn in Mississippi. Gulfport, I think it was.

10. jvalhenson

Yea I do that but generally straight off the plant. Only reason to do it is preserve the initial sweetness of it before any sugar goes to starch.