Anyone's gardens getting right?

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 4, 2017.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

It made a few last year. It was supposed to be self pollinating. I don't think it ever was. The other one died about 3 years ago.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My garden is doing really well. We harvested about 2000 ears of corn 2 weeks ago, have that much to harvest again right now. We are having a helluva time getting okra going this year. The shit just is refusing to come up. 3 different varieties. We have about 150 tomato plants in various stages. Starting to get good tomatoes on the first 50 now. Have about 130 hills of straight neck yellow squash that are producing really well, as well as some Italian (cucuzza) squash that is doing really well. Peppers are coming along, but not nearly ready yet. Cucumbers are putting on pretty well, as well as our watermelons. I'll try and get a few pics tomorrow.

3. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Sounds good. We've talked about doing a bigger community garden here but never do. Everyone just has their own basics and we all kinda pick off each other's specifics.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Something I have been wanting to do is to start some neighborhood community gardens. The thought being that if the people come out of their homes to tend them, they will meet their neighbors, start looking out for each other more, and get better food.

We have 120 kids coming to Bogalusa this summer for a mission trip. Part of what we are gonna do is put in gardens on adjudicated properties throughout the city.

BAY0U BENGAL likes this.
  5. jvalhenson

Got a couple big watermelons that I think are ready but with all this rain I'm not expecting em to be to good. Tendrils on them are brown to the vine and all but with so much water I doubt they very sweet. The rest are still a ways away but they are growing to fast I think so I expect they'll just be a bunch of white hearts and no sugar. Hope not but I've never seen watermelons do to good in this much rain at prime fruiting time. Gonna cut those 2 off the vine tomorrow and see what they are.

KyleK likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You probably know how to tell whether a watermelon is good without cutting it open and tasting it. Just about every time I have bought one at a store it turns out to be not as good as I want it. Same with cantaloupes.

7. jvalhenson

I don't claim to be an expert as I've cut open several that either weren't there yet or were just overripe and it's def not an exact science but if the little "spoon" leaf is brown or gone and the tendril is brown up to the vine then it's usually ready. Other indicators everyone knows is the yellowish belly and the hollow thud of a ripe one vs the higher pitches thunck of one that's not ready....but I go by the tendril right or wrong.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Yeah, I alway give them a thump but I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

9. jvalhenson

You want it to thud all the way through the melon. Put one hand on the flat on the bottom and tap the top with the other. Should get a good thud that you can feel all the way through the melon to your other hand. If it's not quit ripe the thud will be higher pitched more like thunck than a thud and you won't feel it through to your other hand as much. It's not easy to tell with one melon. Really if you aren't very experienced with it you need one melon that you know isn't ready to compare the thunk vs thud and feel against. When you have a ripe one and unripe one there together the difference is obvious. Was just teaching the wife the difference today she couldn't believe how easy it was to tell between the 2 but how much harder it is to do in the store where you don't have that easy known comparison

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sounds like it would be easier to get good at golf or guitar. Or understanding rocket science and women.