AOL CEO: 'Obamacare Is an Additional $7.1 Million Expense For Us'

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Feb 6, 2014.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Speaking just for me... I lost the plan I liked, and my doctor opted out of the insurance market all together. He charges an annual subscription fee now, and frankly it isn't a good buy for me seeing as how I only see him for my annual. So I in effect lost my plan and my doctor. Thanks Obama.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Write his bitch ass.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You can't put this one on Obamacare. Many doctors have been switching to Concierge practices for years now, especially those with an established and affluent clientele. Most will still accept insurance, but they don't have to see 30 patients a day to make a good living when each of their clients pay a $2,000+ retainer every year.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The letter from my doctor said the switch was due to Obamacare, and it even cited specific regulations set out by Health and Human Services. And beyond that... Obama still lied. I was not able to keep the plan I liked, and the resulting increases in costs coupled with the lack of risk in not having insurance has pushed me into the ranks of the uninsured.

Rex_B and kluke like this.
  5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

When did this change happen? Did it accelerate in the last few years?

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

The first requirement of good reporting is clean data gathered from a consistent business process over a period of time. A main requirement of a consistent business process is a stable system. We aren't there yet.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

10 or 12 years ago, mostly on the east and west coast. It's a new method of primary care that has a niche among the affluent. Their patients still need insurance for catastrophic health care, emergency room care, hospital stays, etc.

It accelerated a lot in the last year, up 25%. Insurance companies don't care for concierge medicine much and the ACA is big business for insurance companies. But doctors considering the switch may think the timing is good with so many people changing carriers and plans.

8. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

I've been with a concierge doc for 2+ years now. Love it.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Red, the concierge concept has been around since at least 1997, but you know it is a micro segment of the health care system. I also think, but do not know, the the catastrophic plans are also victims of ACA since they don't provide comprehensive coverage.

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

While not strictly ACA, you guys may have missed the Friday evening announcement (news cycle management) of a 7.5% reduction in Medicare advantage payments from government. Big insurance is pissed since they low keyed the ACA problems. Either rates will go up or benefits will go down.....probably both.

As of mid afternoon today, Humana stock was down 5%since Friday. Wall Street is apparently bracing for large sell off in healthcare stocks tomorrow.

Slapping seniors in the face on Med Advantage in an election year is a move Thant was somewhat unexpected.

Just reporting to you what the insiders are saying, and why so many worked today.

LSUDad and Winston1 like this.