AP Preseason Poll Out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Aug 17, 2014.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I've read the thread over the past week since it was created. By page 4, you're talking about BCS flaws as if the poll system was better, and Tiger Tap begins transitioning the conversation to Split NC based on your insinuations about the "flawed BCS".

So, now, lets test your reading comprehension. Once again, the BCS was flawed, but it was better than individual polls, it was agreed upon by all participants, and at least got us down to 2 teams on the field trying to decide a NC. Playoffs should even be better, but not perfect either, and the system deciding those playoff teams will have to be tweaked over time (ex., it will likely have to be expanded to at least 8 teams), thus creating lots of controversy its first few years. And, lastly, there were no "split NCs" since the BCS was created in 1998 (99?). Controversy? Sure, there was controversy, but not split NCs. As you have eluded to, there was plenty of controversy pre-BCS, and will continue to have controversy w/the new playoff era, too.

I don't think I can be much clearer than that, or than Red has been. However, I am sure, you or someone, will highlight a single word, pull it out, and respond to one small segment as if it is the entirety of someone's point in an effort to alter a position, derail the conversation, or simply to be critical.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

but...if the ap or the Opelika daily news or whatever they're called or whoever wants to declare a national champion then let 'em. I think we get way too aroused, especially 10 years after the fact. "they" declaring a national champion does not change the fact that LSU was/is/and forever will be the BCS National Champion, a championship agreed to by the participants. did the ap agree to participate? if no then let 'em do whatever they want.

didit, red55 and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I agree w/you fully.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Auburn deserved to play for the 2004 BCS NC at least as much as USC and Oklahoma. They were the undefeated champions of the SEC. Aubies have more of a right to claim that one than the gumps do for some of their more dubious National Championships

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

That's right. I got in and argued about the BCS not being worth a shit, that was it. I cited many controversies that supported my statement. Never mentioned the one to which you keep trying to bring in. Apparently you have a hangup with it, I don't. You even admit that I didn't reference it with terms you use like, "insinuate", "eluded to", etc. Stop putting words in my mouth, If I had something to say believe me, I'd say it. I'm not one to glaze things over.

Be DAM if that's not EXACTLY what YOU did. Actually much worse cause you're responding to something you THINK is being said, rather than "one small segment." Stop being a hypocrite.

6. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Was the AP Poll recognized by the NCAA at the time?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is simpler than that.

For many decades there was no procedure for selecting a national champion. So various polls (there are over 30 of them) each ranked teams and the #1 ranked team was THEIR champion. This produced not only split but often shattered "mythical national champions", one for every poll.

When the BCS was created there was, for the first time, a procedure for selecting a single National Champion that all the BCS conferences agreed on. From then on the only National Champion was the winner of the National Championship game. It was designed and intended to eliminate "split "National CHamopions and it worked as advertised. This did not keep polls from naming a #1 that didn't get into the game, but a number one in a poll is NOT a recognized National Champion anymore. No matter what they wish to call it in Southern California.

Fact, not opinion.

ParadiseiNC and didit like this.
  8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Tap, the new system could be just as controversial as what happened in 2003 and end up with the AP & Coaches Poll naming 2 teams other than the Playoff champion. Would that mean we would have a split championship with 3 champions?!

TigerTap likes this.
  9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

In ANY situation in which there is ANY controversy that arises in determining a National Champion, given the choice, I would ALWAYS choose being the team that played in the designated game or whatever measure was agreed upon in determining a National Champion. That's probably why the '03 deal never really bothered me too much.

Even in '07, with two losses. When people tried to rain on our parade I told them there was NO DOUBT that WE belonged there. Aside from the number of ranked teams we beat (using final poll btw) we won the freggin game so apparently it was the buckeyes who didn't belong.

10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

I think it's funny when people use 03 as the reason the BCS died, only took 10 years. The reason is much simpler, more games/TV contracts/profit.