AP Preseason Poll Out

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Aug 17, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I didn't say it was ideal, I said that it worked to eliminate a split national championship. If you didn't win the championship game you ain't the champion.

LSUDad, Winston1 and plotalot like this.
  2. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Why is this a difficult concept for so many to comprehend?

LSUDad and didit like this.
  3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I'd think they dam sure better. What I meant though, was like the final BCS poll before. It was used for bowl pairings then didn't change again.

Just like the new format will, I assume, use the poll to pair the semi games then the "BCS" poll will no longer "matter" in terms of naming a national champion.

Can't say "BCS" without the "BS." I remember grad saying there will always be that team that felt they should've been included- regardless of how many teams are in the playoffs. I suspect that will in fact be true.

If everyone would raise their glass at this time, here's a toast to Bama being the 5th team.

titoabad1 and TigerTap like this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I dunno but maybe cause they can't say, "We beat them already." Or maybe, like fans of an undefeated Auburn team? Or the year Texas jumped California after a California win? Or Ohio St climbing from #5 to #1 after sitting idle for two weeks?

Or what about the year the BCS poll was used to break a tie. Oklahoma edged out Texas for the right to represent the Big 12 South in the conference championship game despite the head to head loss to the Longhorns earlier in the season

Fact is there was narrow a year the BCS didn't have a controversy. I was trying to be nice and respectful to red but truth be told, it was a tremendous failure.

A survey conducted in 2009 at the Quinnipiac University found that 63% of individuals interested in college football questioned the validity of BCS National Championship pairings and its designated National Champions.

How anyone cannot see the ineptness of the BCS is what's so hard for me to comprehend.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    TigerTap likes this.
  5. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

Wtf. A Split NC?

The AP Poll was part of the BCS at the time. The AP AGREED to the terms of the BCS when they were allowed to be a poll that factored into the overall BCS rankings. They also agreed that whoever wins the BCSNCG would be ranked #1 in their poll. They went against this when it wasn't the team THEY WANTED. I'd have to look it up but that played at least some part in the entire reason they were REMOVED from the BCS rankings.

2003 was not a Split NC. There was only 1 NC. One. The AP having another team ranked #1 is irrelevant because the NCAA had the BCS established at the time to determine the best team and we won it. The fact that the AP / USC tried to make up this whole Split BS is just that, BS. But the even scarier thing is that you are actually going along with it. As a Tiger fan I cannot believe you would try to sit here and say LSU should share the 03 NC crown. That's some west coast bull right there.

didit and red55 like this.
  6. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I don't have a problem with USC claiming 2003, because if the shoe were on the other foot - LSU ranked #1 in the polls, gets shut out of the big game in favor of a team that does not belong (Oklahoma) - I'd claim it too.

I also still can't believe it gets people riled up.

Brian and TigerTap like this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

This reminds me of the people that listen to Howard Stern in Private Parts. WTF is Quinnipiac?

8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

While I could give a shit about that claim and agree with its technicality, there is just some douchebaggery to claiming to be the champion when you weren't in the game. Would be like Gumps claiming the SEC title in 11 cuz they got a do over, if they haven't already.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. red55

Only one team won the National Championship game. The sad claimant of HALF of the championship wasn't even IN the game. They have no crystal, they have no championship.

didit likes this.
  10. red55

Incorrect, the #3 BCS team got left out of the BCS bowl. Numbers 1 and 2 played the game.

titoabad1 likes this.