Apology to Jarrett Lee

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 15, 2009.

1. roynav

roynav free your mind

What a bunch of offensive BS. Now being pissed off a Tiger is booed by his own fans makes one a racist. Sweet.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Based on what? :insane:

Herb Tyler pretty much put an end to the "black quarterbacks can't cut it" talk a long time ago. Rohan Davey put an end to "black quarterbacks can't be popular" soon thereafter.

I haven't heard one damn thing during all of the QB discussions in the last year that sounded anything like racism. What have you heard?

3. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

Hardly. If you take the time to read through all of the posts about Lee and Jefferson, you'll find that people say the same thing about both when they do not perform well. If there was racism concerning the quarterback, why then are there so many of us hoping and praying that Jefferson is healed enough to play against Ole Miss? Furthermore, why aren't people complaining about the LB whenever someone screws up? Cutera's right there, and he could be put in, but no one's complaining about this.
    And, last but not least, why, if there is racism concerning the quarterback position, were so many people begging for (and demanding) Russell Shephard play in place of Jefferson or Lee?

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I have to admit that, although I've seen nothing posted on the subject, I HAVE heard Racist comments from some older fans about Jefferson.

I've heard that LSU needs to recruit a good, smart white QB. One comment even referred to an African tribe. Another referred to the lack of intelligence of black athletes. I hear comments like this about the president sometimes too.

But the comments came from older people who were raised in the days when this type of thinking was "de rigeur" and I passed those comments off the same way I would an inapropriate joke. Otherwise good people slipping up.

I believe that these people were more guilty of shooting off at the "lip" than they were of true racism and hatred (like the klan).

Ben Around probably was just referring to the same type of comments and probably wasn't just stirring the pot.

Thank God that racism is on the decline...at least I believe it is.

5. covtowntiger

covtowntiger Founding Member

My OPINION, is that JL has more natural ability than JJ, but his confidence may be permanently shot. JJ is not a bad QB but I don't think he is a Championship QB. Next spring should be an open QB competition but somehow I doubt that will happen.

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

I thought this thread is an interesting stroll down memory lane and shows how far JL has come and what a terrible situation he was dumped into his freshman year by Les. Many players wouldn't have perservered.

I have no doubt Tiger fans are deeply appreciative for what he has done for the program. Even if Lee does not get another minute at QB, Lee already has a place in Tiger lore and if this season ends in a NC, JL will have QB'd the Tigers in more than half of their wins.

Thanks JL. You represent the best of what amateur athletics should be.

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

FIFY

8. roynav

roynav free your mind

No, not Perriloux, it was Les who put him in that situation.

Les recruited a QB with well known attitude issues and should have known he was taking a risk that could blow up and have a seasoned back up QB available just in case. Instead JL was the sacrificial freshman lamb.

I don't mean to get on Les here, but in fairness to Lee let me point out the Lee has bailed out Lesticles on more than one occassion. I'd go so far as to say that without Lee its likely Les Miles would no longer be the LSU coach. And before the revisionists jump in, just remember that before the Alabama game last year Les was on thin ice with many fans. I'm not sure he could have survived a few more loses (before the 2010 Bama game)--which he would have had without JL.

Les screwed up big time on Friday by not trotting JJ off the field to cheers half way through the 4th, then letting JL run on the field to cheers for his final game at Tiger Stadium. Given JL saved Les's lesticles, Les should have made the gesture.

1 person likes this.
  9. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

The only thing is that there are two more post season games to play. There's always a chance Lee is still needed or see the field.

10. wenkebach

wenkebach Founding Member

Yep - it's happened before....he still has a chance to make an impact.