Apple I-Pad

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jan 28, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's not about horsepower alone. It's about effectiveness, reliability, lots of things, especially the synergy between OS and machine that Apple has, controlling both.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Pretty much every CIO in the world will tell you Macs are not worth the investment.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I have always used pc's simply because they do most of what I need at an affordable price. If I could afford one, I would get a mac to make movies w/. I love their tools and the simplicity of using their tools for making home movies.

I have never found software for my pc that will do multimedia stuff for my pc that works as easily as the mac's built in stuff. If money were no object, I would have a mac in addition to my pc.

4. red55

Well, it's overkill for processing file after file of hospital records or government data. It's overkill for word processing and spreadsheets and much database work.

But pretty much every professional animator, image processor, illustrator, cartographer, photographer, musician, graphic design, artist or modeler will tell you that Macs are worth their weight in gold. Add academic research scientists to that, too.

5. red55

iMacs are affordable and will run Windows and all your existing applications as well as apples built-in applications and suite of softwares. Its a Mac and a PC, too. Next upgrade time, get two computers for the price of one and a half. :wink:

6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Trust me he doesn't get it!

7. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

LOL, you are priceless. Once again no one has said here that Macs are toys, I said iPads are toys, and they are. And you are speaking out of your ass if you think gamers don't have experience with Macs. Just because its not first hand doesn't mean its not experience. Gamers for the most part will not use macs, however I am sure there are many gamers that use macs and love them. I am sure its probably the same percent shown in most market research, 5%-8%.

Macs are not worth the price, but then again I don't think any manufactured machine is for a personal computer. I can buy a much better machine at half the price and build it myself. And I can upgrade it for years, not having to deal with the price markup to put a little apple logo on it. Or any logo for that matter.

And as an IT professional, Macs are a not worth it here as well, why spend your budget on overpriced machine like that. They don't have nearly enough options for servers, or low end machines to be viable in our industry on a wide spread bases. This is a fact, and as much as you like to devalue it, backed up by some pretty hard numbers from many different places.

I will say again, Apple makes great stuff, but I label it as designer. I don't put them on a pedastal like you do, and I would never use their stuff, I am smarter than that. You are paying for the label, that is all.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

dont just tease me. why?

ive been using em now for 15 yrs and not had a problem. i actually dont care if they have viruses, etc or not, because if they do, they have not caused any real problems.

"before my birth"? who are you? Douglas Engelbart?

i dont want to understand computers. i have other things to understand. computers are a tool for me to use software. i have no want :) or need to write code. you really have a need to use unix?

in my world, few are bought for personal use and fewer with personal $.

9. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

It wasn't directed at you...your post just reminded me of that argument. The main reason why is it tells me that basically someone just recycles someone else's opinion as their own. The main reason people have the illusion of Macs being more secure is simply because it is far more profitable to write a trojan/worm/virus (not the same thing) for Windows, because there are far more Windows machines out there than Macs. Now that Macs are gaining steam, there are more and more nasty things being created for them and last I checked, there is very little selection in terms of anti-virus for OSX. Here is a pretty good article that is a really quick read about it.

When a PC user meets a Mac enthusiast

To steal the example from the article, saying a Mac is more secure than a Windows machine is like saying your windows are harder to break because your house is in a neighborhood with less thieves.

CanSecWest hosts a hacking contest called PWN2OWN where they set up a computer and whoever hacks into it first wins some cash and gets to keep the computer. 2008 and 2009 were both Macs and the same dude won both years. It took him 2 minutes in '08 and 10 seconds in '09. It was done on systems that were completely patched and up to date.

10. red55

I'll say it once again. IT work is not the only computer use on earth! Your experience there doesn't apply to all the serious computer work in the world.

Outside of your little world, your perception is poor. I've already explained what I'm paying for and why it is absolutely worth it for millions of us. If you can't accept this, it's just not my problem, amigo.