Are children born bad or good?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CParso, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MemphisLSUTiger

MemphisLSUTiger Founding Member

Just look at our society as a whole. The OVERWHELMING majority are good, honest people. Only a small portion of people are criminals, dishonest business people, whatever.

I think if we were truly born bad, the opposite would be true.

2. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Because badness or goodness are not genetic traits.

Are all babys born homosexual and society teaches them to not be that way?

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

So you are saying that children are not born either bad or good, but rather society forms who they will become...?

I think some are born homosexual and society has nothing to do with it, other than teaching them to hide it. But that's a different subject.

4. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work at a kindergarden/day care and believe me, there are some pretty bad children there, I don't believe they were born bad, but because their parents have not raised them the way they should have, they are very disrectful and mean.

At work we hafta teach these children that they are not gonna act like that when they are at the day care. They are teachable though because they learn how to behave when they are there.

Some of these children are only children too, which is another reason they act like that. There parents raise them to believe that they don't hafta mind nobody.

These children don't even mind their parents.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Both. It's difficult to generalize here.

Some kids are predisposed to be troublemakers and others to be meek, but most are normal. And environmental and social factors have tremendous shaping power, obviously. Its a combination of these factors in how a kid turns out.

Most of us who have been around a while can tell you of horrible kids who turned out all right with good parenting and others that are in prison now, also with good parenting. Conversely some kids are raised right and still get in trouble.

6. Crip*TEAM KATT

Yes thats what I have been trying to say.

Children are like clay when they are born, and which every part of society that they fall under determines which form they will take as the growup.

7. Crip*TEAM KATT

SO then homosexual behaivor is indeed genetics in your eyes.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, mostly. Why would some one chose to be gay? That makes no sense to me. Also, if homosexuality were something kids learned, there would be a correlation between homosexual parents and adopted kids, but there isn't. And they have proven certain biological correlations among gay people - for instance, a second son is more likely to be gay etc.

I'm referring to attraction to the same sex here, not necessarily activity with them. The romans used to get BJs from other men, and there was nothing "gay" about it then - it was just socially accepted and there was no attraction there. And conversely just because someone goes their whole life without ever engaging in any gay acts doesn't mean that they aren't gay.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

because children cant even understand the simplest concepts. babies are so stupid, they dont even understand that their mother still exists when she leaves the room. they dont understand the simplest abstract ideas.

if a tree branch falls on your head, you dont blame the branch. babies are like that. you cant apply terms like good or bad to them. they are outside of the rules.

saying a baby is bad is like saying i am a cheater at cricket. i dont have the sligtest clue how to play cricket. if we played, i would do everything wrong, because i am totally clueless.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I guess this goes back to the "blank slate" conversation that got brought up on the round table a couple days ago. How much of a blank slate do you believe children are born with?

I believe people are born with general tendencies and the make up of a personality, which society/parents will help to form as they grow up. Within this, some chidren may be born with more tendencies towards being bad or good, but that doesn't necessarily determine who they will become. Even a good hearted child raised in a bad situation can come out bad.

I guess, by "bad" I just mean a lack of "good" - not necessarily evil or anything like that. So in general, I think kids are born bad, and society makes them compassionate & so forth. This implies that man is not inherently good.