Are the Glory Days over?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 15, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Do you think the last decade was something we won't see in the near future with the LSU football program? Should fans just be satisfied with a winning season, and a decent bowl game? Alot of us including myself got really spoiled over the past decade, and expectations are extremely high. If the LSU football team goes 8-4 this upcoming season, should LSU fans be satisfied?

i know its really early, but man i am addicted to football like its heroin, and i am jonesin' bad!!!

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

For me, a competitive team. Quality young men (IE dont be like Florida). Good honest but strong recruiting, is all I ask for.
    A coach who is a good representative of LSU both on and of the field. I say this because several kids who DIDNT commit to LSU commented on how LSU recruits and was very complimentary of LSU's recruiting style. IE not like Kiffen.
    8-4 next year will be a dissapointment, but for me if the above holds true. I will accept it as where we are as a program.

LSU has dropped off the elite map, but not as far as some other powerhouse programs (UGA, Auburn, Miami, etc)

So in the grand scheme of things LSU is doing pretty well.

But that is just my opinion. I am obviously easier to please than most.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Can you expect 2 championships every 10 years, probably not. However that doesn't mean that LSU can't compete for them on a consistent basis.

4. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Scout called LSU "the team with arguably the biggest home state advantage in all of college football." LSU has the highest number of in-state D1 signees per BCS school in the country. With that kind of built in advantage, LSU should always compete for championships, and IMO, 8-4 is only occasionally acceptable as a down year and should be immediately followed by a championship contending season.

2 people like this.
  5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

As a North Carolinian it is remarkable to me how year end and year out the Louisiana football pipeline overflows with talent. Hope we continue to put it to good use.

hwr

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Glory days are just beginning in my opinion. However, to win 2 MNC's in a decade is quite difficult and we may never achieve that again. Still, from where we were 12 years ago, our program is quite impressive today.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Obviously there really isn't anywhere to go but down when you start off with 3 straight 11 or more win seasons. Should the fanbase not blow up so much when we get 4 loss seasons? What is an acceptable record? Is it enough to beat everyone except the best teams we play every season?

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

This season much like last season wasn't so much about the wins and losses as it was the play of the team. The offense should have been far better than it was. Had it been I think the wins/losses would have taken care of themselves. That being said a team can play better ball and lose 4 games than they did in a year where more games were won and less games lost. LSU didn't play up to its potential and that's what shouldn't be acceptable, not the fact that they lost 4 games.

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

No, the glory days are not over. Recruiting is strong. We were very competitive last year, with a frustrating offense. We gotta get past the two seasons with a redshirt frosh QB, then hopefully we got an upperclassman with the talent to lead this team to better things.

The SEC is tough, with Fla, Bama, Auburn, Ga. all tough, plus Ole Miss.

We'll compete with the top, gotta get the QB thing solved.

1 person likes this.
  10. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

This is a very good post. For me, I agree. If we are 8-4 and the product on and off the field shows a driven, motivated, well coached, determined, and positive representation of LSU then I am ok with that record. Do I believe that LSU fans should be satisfied with 9-4 or 8-5 records, no way. What I do think is that if the aspects about the team hold true to my earlier statement our teams and our coaches will more often than not produce much better results. Will we have our 8-5/9-4 seasons, of course we will, but I think those are occasional down years as opposed to the norm. If our down years are 8-5 records I am ok with that too. Some fan bases would be ecstatic to have that as their best seasons as opposed to just a down season.

The Glory Days are far from over, this has just been a hiccup in the road. "Keep the Faith, don't let nobody turn you round". I point to the baseball team as my evidence. For 4 years they had fallen from the elite, but with the right coaching changes and some key recruiting classes they are right back where they should be. Not to say the football program needs to have a complete overhaul in coaching, but hopefully the changes that have been made, and with the recruiting classes that we have already amassed we will see our Tigers return to the dominance of the past decade. GEAUX TIGERS :geaux: :crystal: :crystal::LSU231:

1 person likes this.