Are the Glory Days over?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Name 10 programs more "elite" than LSU right now. And no, it's not a challenge...I really wanna see people's opinions.
    ---------
    1)Bama
    2)UF
    3)Texas
    4)...I'm beginning to struggle...I know there's someone I'm forgetting, right?? Surely there must be...maybe tOSU??
    5)I'm done.

2 people like this.
  2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

1)Saints
    2)Bama
    3)Fla
    4)Colts
    5)Texas

Sorry, I couldn't help myself!:)
    When was the last time the Saints were considered better than the Tigers?:lol:

Ok now for the subject at hand.
    I am totally happy with the Tigers playing in a bowl game on Dec 31st or sometime in January provided the team plays better than the last 2 years.
    I was still happy we got to play in January but I would have enjoyed the season more had we played better, more consistently.
    That would have been the best I could have hoped for.

I don't think the glory days are over but at the same time I don't think we will win 2 NCAA championships in 4 years for sometime if ever.
    The best coaches in the business don't accomplish that.

3. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

How many threads do we need like this per week? Jesus people, just wait for the season please. There are no "glory days" or "dark days".... it's all LSU football. Either ride with us or don't, we're gonna be a damn strong team next year.

1 person likes this.
  4. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

LSU Football is in really good shape and here's why-

1.) We will have a veteran QB next year, and for several years to come.
    2.) LA is loaded with D1 talent; Recruiting classes are highly ranked every year.
    3.) Our Head Coach really loves the place and isn't looking to jump ship.
    4.) We have a passionate fanbase.
    5.) LSU has lots of money.
    6.) LSU Football gets LOTS of exposure.

I don't see our football program as being "down". I look at like we're reloading, or that we were a few players away, (or an OC). Florida and 'Bama are "up", but reloading takes time. We've started young quarterbacks the last 2 years, in the toughest conference in the country.

If we played in the ACC or in the Big 12 North, LSU might have been in a conference championship game last year. But this is the SEC, where the conference champion has won the National Championship each of the last 4 years, and 6 out of 12 years.

Taking all that into consideration, plus the fact that we had a lead on 'Bama in the 4th quarter, and lost to Ole Miss and Penn State by 2 points each. I don't think we're as far "down" as some would like to suggest.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

2 people like this.
  5. Sourdoughman

I haven't been in the Den or read many posts here in a while.
    Heck, I probably won't be back until football season unless the baseball team brings the magic back this spring.

With posts like this I might as well stay in Free Speach Alley or the Sidelines!
    Wow:insane:

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

What part of the above post do you disagree with?

How about ehrn YOU answered my question posed above. Name 10 teams currently more "elite" than LSU. You couldn't, so you should have no problem with QB Luke's post. And quite frankly, even if you could...(you can't)...his post is STILL spot on. Glory days? Really? I recall the glory days of '96...so happy to be in the Peach against Clemson. It's all relative.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

No. :nope:

8. Sourdoughman

The tone of his post.
    Seems like he was a little rough with his tone for one thing.
    What he said wasn't the point it is the words he used and the way he said it.
    I thought he was a little harsh but if you reread my post I said I haven't been over here for a while.
    If you look at my thread following yours I was having fun with the thread and having fun with it as well as being accurate.
    I think you are a little arrogant since you put it this way.
    I will say that from 2001 to 2007 were glory days if no other reason because LSU won 2 BCS championships in 4 years and a few SEC championships.
    You don't think that is better than winning the Peach bowl every year?
    See above and again I honestly don't think you read my post.
    The one you mentioned that I answered your post about.
    I said I don't think the glory days are over but at the same time it don't get much better than winning 2 BCS Championships in 4 years.

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I hear you saying you haven't been on here for a while...but surely you've seen the ridiculous threads about the "Wheels Falling Off" and whatever stupid titles there have been. QB Luke...like most forum regulars...is tired of the chicken little sky is falling thread after thread after thread.
    -
    What I meant by the '96 Peach Bowl comment is this. Of course 2001-2007 was great. But we were better in 2008 and 2009 than we were in '96...and in fact, better than we were in '2002...just as good if not better than in 2004. I was being sarcastic about '96 being the glory days. We are SOOOOO far beyond that realm, yet people are claiming the downfall of LSU. It's laughable.
    -
    Just so happens that there really is no such thing as a dynasty anymore in college football. There are ups and downs. I betcha if this wasn't an LSU forum, a lot of folks would give USC as an answer to my earlier question. I believe this past season, they played in a December bowl game that has some sort of nuts as it's sponsor. I bet there are some who wanna say Boise St. or Utah are more elite than LSU right now. But that's tragically false. Either of those teams could beat LSU on a given Saturday...but NEITHER of them could do better than 9-4 playing in the SEC...not consistently.
    -
    Fact is, it's just a little tiresome to see all the doomsday crap, when there isn't anyone here that can give an honest 10 teams more elite than LSU right now. And if I'm right about that, then I'd say having a consistently top 10 program makes LSU elite...and makes this STILL the glory days. That is all. I've been silent on here for a while because of all the BS...I'm going dark again.

10. Purple Tiger1

Purple Tiger1 Founding Member

Louisiana doesn't produce many good Off lineman,LBers,and QBs on a regular basis. La used to produce a couple of outstanding QBs per yr,but have not seen many the past ten years.