Are the Glory Days over?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I read the whole post. I just think the poor bastards who actually think LSU will win 9 or 10 games in the SEC every year have absolutely no hope of being happy as long as LSU stays a top tier team. That's a school of thought you don't recognize as one of your two.

It's a shame that some fans (mostly on message boards) are determned to be exactly who Bama and USC fans accuse LSU fans of being.

And I've never ridden a moped or banged a fat chick - either literally or metaphorically. I'm more of a pickup truck/green-eyed hottie sort.

1 person likes this.
  2. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

If you expect another decade with 2 NCs, 3 SEC titles, 4 SECW titles, 4 BCS bowls, a bowl game after every season and LSU on the "Team of the Decade" short list....you may be disappointed.

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

According to some though, if we aren't at this level every year we are no longer "Elite".

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

i think that would be comparatively speaking though. Depending on what the rest of the college football world does, if LSU doesn't compete for a national championship, and SEC championship this decade, i don't think they would be Elite anymore.

In all honesty the purpose for this thread was to remind everyone that we just had one hell of a decade that probably will never be repeated, and we should be proud of our LSU Tigers, and not get too bent out of shape if it isn't repeated. I guess it was also an affirmation of sorts for me, because I have been very critical of this coaching staff since, Miles got his big paycheck.

5. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

"Glory Days" is a relative term. Compared to the 90's, we are indeed still in our "Glory Days."

However, I do think that our days of being the most dominant team in the West could be over. Bama seems to be back and their coach is better than ours. Bama also recruits nationally in a way we've never been able to do.

Having said that, I don't know if that's a horrible thing. Being consistently the 2nd best team in the West means that many seasons, we will be able to jump up and be the best team in the West and compete for an SEC title. I'm not sure we can ask for more than that.

I do know this, however. We can consistently be the 2nd best team in the West and IMO that's acceptable, but we can't be the 3rd and 4th best team in the West like we've been the last two years. That's unacceptable.

6. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I ain't surrendering jack $hit to Alabama...never !!!!! :tigereye:

7. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

when an 8 and 9 win season is considered a disappointment, I think it means you have a pretty elite program. going further than that, that athletic program at LSU in its entirety is easily of elite status.

8. LEGACY TIGER

I was thinking of this exact point yesterday, and almost opened up a thread to discuss it. We all know that most schools consider themselves either a football school or a basketball school, but can LSU really limit it's categorization to just that. When you consider that most of our national championships are in track and field, that over the past 20 yrs we have been the most dominant program in college baseball, and that, with the exception of men’s basketball, our entire athletic program has been ranked in top 25 for much of the past decade. LSU is committed to all sports and excels as well or better than most schools. We don't just focus on the Big 3 sports, but all sports. The school is committed to getting the best coaches and best athletes in all sports to attend and compete for LSU.

I know that we are a football school, but with the overall top level performance of our athletic programs, I would say we are an All Sports school. Even though the football program finances most of the other sports, we still compete at the top level in all of them. This is most definitely an Elite time for the LSU athletic programs.

As for being 2nd fiddle to Bama, that is a bunch of crap. LSU, Bama and the rest of the West will be in a fight yr in and yr out over the next couple of yrs. To say we don't recruit nationally well is also a bunch of crap. We pick up top recruits from around the country all of the time. Bama does not do this any better than we do. To say that recruits out of FL, GA, TN, and other southern states is better recruiting than the recruits we get out of the very same states, add TX, OH, and many other states around the country is a bunch of crap. LSU is every bit Elite as we have been over the past decade, it is just going to be harder to dominate the west conference as we did. The conference is deeper now, and Bama fan is going to find that out over the next couple of yrs. Enjoy your 2 yrs of dominance while a couple of other power houses were going thru some transitions, but those days for Bama fan are gone.

WELCOME TO THE SEC WEST, WHERE IN ORDER TO TAKE THE TOP YOU HAVE TO BE THE BEST OF THE BEST.:geaux: :tigereye: :LSU231:

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Legacy speaks truth. See below:

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Ask Jamie: Should Tide broaden recruiting base?

Alabama is not a national recruiting power like, say, USC. They recruit regionally, just like we do. Also consider the amount of talent per capita in the southeast. There is no need to go national. Also, as I've posted before, LSU has the single biggest built in home state recruiting advantage of any BCS school in the country.

Scout.com: Scout.com Class of 2011 Top 150

No way in hell we have to be resigned to second best.

10. LEGACY TIGER

Thanks for the supporting information. I was talking out of my ars, but knew I was right.:D