Are we now communist Russia?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by MFn G I M P, Jul 23, 2006.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

i didnt know until now that the kid is seriously named starchild. i think that is all we need to know. he is braiwashed by his parents to be some sort of hippy freak who has no use for the modern medicince that can save him. poor kid was really screwed over by his parents. i definitely think he should be taken from his parents.

besides, isnt hodgkins pretty beatable? thats what mario lemieux had.

too bad chump, i hated taking shots because i was a pussy when i was a kid, they still forced em on me.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Martin, you're all over the place. You want one person to live, the next to die.......now this hippie kid Starchild?.....you want him saved by the government.

Whatever.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

i wouldnt have minded being aborted, but if i had been brainwashed into suicied at 16 that would have sucked.

of course i was already independent minded by 16, and i would have taunted my stupid hippie parents if they tried this on me. but not every child is the prodigy i was.

4. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

From what I understand, the kid and the parents are worried that another round of Chemo would weaken him so badly that he wouldn't survive. A valid fear, and it brings some nast choices: you can do the chemo again and have the possibilty of living your final few months in agony, but with also a small chance of beating the cancer. Or, avoid the chemo, feel better for bit longer, and hope for a miracle.

Maybe they just want their son to live his final months or years not in excrutiating pain?

I would think that if the parents hadn't already tried chemo once unsuccessfuly, then they were nuts. But since they've already done it, and obviously all involved would rather die than do it again, you gotta defer to the family. whom I can garauntee know way more what is best for themselves than the freaking Govt.

It's a tough choice and a complex ethical issue, but gotta trust my distrust of the Govt on this matter.

Now in the meantime how bout' our Government actually do something to make the Chemo choice more manageable by letting chemo patients use a cheap, effective medication that limits nausea and pain and increases the appetite. All through a little plant called Marijuana. Wouldn't that be a more rational thing for the Govt to be advocating? Espcially since about 65-70% of Americans support it? Isn't this how Democracy is supposed to work? When the majority of the people support something and when vote after vote is cast in landslide support of it, shouldn't the Federal Govt step out of the way?

Maybe if this kid had access to Medical Marijuana he would be more willing to go through Chemo in the first place. I know several people who went through Chemo and said that Medical Marijuana was the best thing for it. Way less severe than the opoid painkillers that are given currently.

But ohhh no that would be advocating illicit drug use by people who are on their deathbed. I mean, we wouldn't want them getting hooked or anything. To a plant. That has no physically addictive properties. That cannot be attributed to a single death, despite the fact that millions upon millions of people have used it. And just think of the poor drug companies who would lose the revenue from a $50/dose pill if people could grow their own medicine in their garden... It's more than I can bear to think. Failed Federal policy should trump the wishes of the American People and the comforting of dying cancer patients, in my opinion.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I agree on that point. I have know people that went through chemo and that was all that helped their side effects.

I think what got me about the article was that the mom said the kid was too weak to play tag with is siblings and was devastated. I have never been through chemo so I can't say I've been there, but it seems to me that I would rather my kids not be able to play than be 6 feet under.

I am sure we don't know all the facts presented, the judge does.

6. USMTiger

USMTiger Founding Member

Hey nice Weimeraner. I have two :)

But yeah, hopefully the judge truly understands the situation and is making the correct choice. I'd do anything to save my child, and alternative medicine ain't it. It just makes me uncomfortable to have a judge forcing someone to go through an extremly dangerous, invasive procedure if the person doesn't want to.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I do too (two). I wouldn't trade either one for anything!

Ok, back to the thread...

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

that makes sense, but i think it is the doctors who should call the shots on children, and the parents are ignoring the doctors, who could maybe cure the kid. mexicn herb holistic docs arent gonna cure anything. we cant let parents ignore medical experts in such a way as to cause a kid to die.

of course the kid is in a lose-lose, and no matter what, he is royally ****ed, but still, we cant let kids decide to kill themselves on parent's advice.

9. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

Well a judge just lifted the order forcing the kid to undergo chemo and set an appeal date at August 16. http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/feeds/ap/2006/07/25/ap2903291.html

And apparently there is a precedent for letting parents make medical decisions, even if they are wacky ones.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

gimp, do you think the parents should be allowed to make the decisions for that 13 year old girl, even if the decisions are certain to kill her?