Are y'all

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerskin, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Tigerskin

Tigerskin Founding Member

I am starting to get excited about Petrino and it sounds like we better. Would be fun to have a big time offense. If he could talk Will Muschamp into staying and coaching the defense, that would be very appealing to me.

2. BB

BB Founding Member

Personally, I will never warm up to the idea of a Conference USA Science Project. The LSU Football Program is on solid ground and the talent pool is deeper than ever right now. I just get the gut feeling that Petrino is one career opportunity away from becoming the next Tommy Bowden.

Petrino looks like a great hire, but I would prefer a coach who has traveled further up the mountain than he has. Also, I think Petrino is another NFL jumper down the road.

It seems rediculous that many of these coaches are getting hired on the basis of media popularity, flashy offenses, and very recent success. Case in point, Urban Meyer - how has everyone already forgotten how awful that offense was at Notre Dame under Bob Davie? Anyone associated with that offense should be banned from head coaching positions for 15 years...

3. max

max Founding Member

Even if Muschamp goes, he is not the only good defensive coach. If we can get a top head coach, we should be able to get a top defensive coordinator like Van Gorder from Georgia. Money talks.

4. max

max Founding Member

December 27, 2004
    LSU Coach Search Continues

LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman

The LSU Tigers have many options to fill it's vacant head football coaching position.

Monday night, TV 10 Sports talked with LSU athletic director Skip Bertman who says there are many coaches out there and that he didn't want to exclude anyone from the process.

He would not confirm that former Cleveland Browns head coach Butch Davis is the front runner.

5. TD TIGER

TD TIGER Founding Member

thanks for the inside scoop tigerskin

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Very true. Hell, you could do much the same to Nick Saban back in 1999--never won the Big 10 at Mich St ,was only 2-3 against Michigan, lost his 3 bowl games there. Never coached in the SEC, or even the south, so how's he going to recruit effectively? His assistants quit on him all the time, so something must be fishy there somewhere...on and on and on.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If most fans were honest, they would admit to not being all that excited 5 years ago when they first heard the name Nick Saban to LSU. Hell, most of us were asking WHO IS HE and HOW MUCH DID WE JUST OFFER HIM?

If I remember correctly, Erickson was high on list of many ... thankfully that didn't happen!

The fans' choice is not always the right choice...

8. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

Exactly, and I for one am very thankful that Skip is the one making this decision!:thumb:

9. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

True however we had nowhere to go but up, LSU was at one of its lowest points, it was not appealing to many coaches, Saban was one of the few who saw a Diamond...
    Now its different LSU for at least the next 7 days is the Defending National Champion, stocked with Talent and is spending millions on new facilities. In short. It is a premier job and LSU should try at least to get a premier coach.

For the record, I am not sold on Petrino or Miles. But I know about 1/100th that the guys searching do. No matter what I will be renewing my Season Tickets....
    I am excited again about LSU football, I am looking forward to the Bowl game and Saban packing his bags for his dreamland and us moving forward no matter who is wearing the headset.

10. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

I feel comfortable that whoever we get will be the right man. The reason I say this is because Skip is the AD, not Joe Dean. Skip may not be a football guy, but is there anyone more qualified in the science of coaching, the ability to judge character and determine psychological make-up of a coach? LSU will be just fine. :thumb: